Explain how this happening (leak)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sidman24

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So somehow water is getting under the wooden rim on top of my 75 gallon tank. The thing is the water that is on the inside of the tank has no way of getting under the rim since it's on the outside! Right?? I'm confused. I'll wake up and there is a drip going all the way down the front of my tank that hardens and takes a while to wipe off... Anyone know what's going on? Here is a pic to show where I'm talking about

Attachments

• image-698948544.jpg
    image-698948544.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 123
Do you have a HOB filter pump? you could have a pump that leaks a bit and allows the water to wick along the rim.

Do you have a HOB filter pump? you could have a pump that leaks a bit and allows the water to wick along the rim.

I have two HOB filters. That does mean hang on back right?? Lol I just assumed. But it only leaks on the front part.. Not the sides nor back trim

If your tank is full enough, even a tube or pipe that hangs over the edge could be wicking. I think water will wick between plastic and glass something like 3" with only a little bit of agitation to help it along....research that somebody.

Check to make sure that you place a small spacer between tubes and the side of the tank that are well above the waterline. I keep my tank almost full to the brim and I needed to put a spacer on my aerator tube because the water was wicking up it enough to cause a similar problem to the one you are facing.

Try dumping an inch or two of water from the tank and see if that helps.

Anyone else out there have ideas?

IMPORTANT!!
If you are having water dripping issues, make sure you have a drip loop on all your power cables, you don't want the dripping water to find a cable and run down into a power outlet.

Well I have no tubes ... If you are referring to tubes that you would use for air stones and such. Just the two filters on the back.. However I don't notice any water back there.. :/

Pic not clear, it's called capillary action.

An air stone will produce results like this, filter outlet etc. etc.

Manic, good advice on the drip loop! (y)

It could be from the Condensation effect.

Sidman, do you have any equipment, decorations, accessories, etc. that extend out of the water?

Could you post pics of your tank from the top, front, and ends so we can see exactly what could be causing the issue?

It occurred to me that you may have a small crack that is hidden by the wood...do you have a pen light or some other way to check for that possibility? Is the wood decoration or structural? i.e. can it be safely removed to inspect the glass? If you don't know, don't remove it.

Sidman, do you have any equipment, decorations, accessories, etc. that extend out of the water? Could you post pics of your tank from the top, front, and ends so we can see exactly what could be causing the issue? It occurred to me that you may have a small crack that is hidden by the wood...do you have a pen light or some other way to check for that possibility? Is the wood decoration or structural? i.e. can it be safely removed to inspect the glass? If you don't know, don't remove it.

The wood is glued on the glass. No way to remove it without ripping it off. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• image-613975047.jpg
    image-613975047.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 127
  • image-2132076225.jpg
    image-2132076225.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 115
  • image-2222293934.jpg
    image-2222293934.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 108
  • image-97084392.jpg
    image-97084392.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 108
In picture 2 I think I see the evaporation tray, the glass insert that stops the water loss. Water is running along this to the edge of the tank and finding its way out. Maybe wrong it's just a guess!

In picture 2 I think I see the evaporation tray, the glass insert that stops the water loss. Water is running along this to the edge of the tank and finding its way out. Maybe wrong it's just a guess!

Hmm that could be it !! Thanks for the idea

Could it be the evaporated water forms drips on the underside of the lid and these are tracking to the edge of the tank? Maybe your tank isnt completly level back to front

When I use to fill my 40 to high water would seep through the plastic rim and drip down the front of the tank

Would it be a bad idea to superglue the crack shut where it's leaking?

The trouble is that this would treat where the water comes out. If you don't stop the leak where the water comes in, it will just find another exit.

Hmmm.. I've looked and have no idea. It's not coming from the filters as far as I know. I don't see how it could possibly be coming from them.. I'll keep looking

Back
Top Bottom