External Heaters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ewolff

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was perusing the Petsolutions site and I noticed they are now stocking Hydor external heaters. They go inline after the canister filter. Does anybody have any experience with these? I am wondering how well these would keep a tank heated.

I have a 65 gallon tank that is 24" tall and I am running two visi-therm 150w heaters, one on each side and it does the job real good. I like the idea of getting the heater out of sight, but I am concerned the lower part of the tank will not get enough heat.

I'm sure they work fine, just a little pricey. Plus, I would assume you would have to clean them at some point with the water flowing through them.

Just remember to consider the inner diameter of your cannister return hose before you buy one. There are 3 versions. ETH200 is 200W and has ID of 1/2" while ETH201 and ETH300 are 200W and 300W with an ID of 5/8". AFAIK, the Rena Filstar XP2 and XP3 have 5/8" returns, while the Eheim 2026 and Jebo 828 have 1/2". Not sure how the ribbed hose of the Fluval would work, but you can probably find replacement hose that will fit, I just don't know what ID it has. I bought a ETH300 for my 75G and am waiting for my cannister to show up so no comments on performance just yet:p

Back
Top Bottom