External Overflow - how to start the siphoning? (pic's)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1brent1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I finally have everything pretty much finished up so I filled the tank and sump to test everything out before adding my good water.

I left some room in my sump and filled the tank just above the overflow box. I tried a for a couple hours last night to get the water to start siphoning out of the tank but was unsuccessful.

What do I need to do?

Here's whats my External overflow box's look like-
overflow.jpg

Mine is a little different with 2 "U" tubes going to a center chamber where it overflows into 2 outs. But the same concept.

Here's an actual photo of mine (the internal specimen box is not attached in the photo but I do have one).-
http://partydamage.com/fishtank/05.jpg

I do not have a setup like you but I have a cut off valve on my siphon. Turn the valve off and fill the tube with water then open the valve and it starts.

Brenden said:
I do not have a setup like you but I have a cut off valve on my siphon. Turn the valve off and fill the tube with water then open the valve and it starts.
I though of that but of course I didn't put a cut off value on one of the returns. Not sure if that would work with my setup either?

What if I did this?
Both ends of the U Tubes are submerged. Put an airline up the U Tube till it is at 12:00. Suck the air out and hopefully the siphon will start?

From the instructions that came with my over flow box it said to fill the skimmer box in the tank then place the U tube in it then slip a airline tubing up in it then suck the air out.
It seems simple but i havent tried it yet. I'm just going to drill my tank and use Bulkheads as my overflow. I have a fear of the siphon breaking and overflowing my tank.

You do as ace1uno_00 says. Take airline tubing and slide it in to the mid point of the tube. Make sure the tube is in the water at both ends and then suck the air out..Sorta like a *big* straw. Water will begin to flow, when it does (And this is the pain) slide the airline tubing out without breaking the siphon. Rinse repeat for the other.

Peace.

^^ Great advice. I must advise that when you start the siphon, to plug the end of the airline tubing when u start the siphon. The water will suck air in and break the siphon. it happened to me until I figured it out lol. Also, make sure there is no buble in the U tube. If there is a big bubble or air pocket, blow into the airline and break the siphon and start over until there is no air in the siphon tube. HTH!

I have the identical overflow box that you have. I typically fill my U Tube with tank water, cover both ends with "saran" wrap, put the U in place, then yank both pieces of plastic. Very quick, works 99% of the time, and I don't get a mouthful of seawater.

Thank You

Thanks to all who posted on this thread.. I couldn't figure out how to get my siphon going to my overflow box on my new aquarium setup today... I went straight to Aquarium Advice and searched out my question and found this thread... you guys are awesome and so is this site...

I filled my 75 gallon up today with "freshwater" just to make sure system is working and leak free...happy to report after an hour and half, no leaks.. and believe me, I'm checking thoroughly with a flashlight every 10 mins... my plan is to run the tank for awhile with fresh water, especially until the water clears from the "sand Foam".. I thought I thoroughly rinsed out the sand, but I guess you never truly thoroughly rinse out the sand enough...lol

Then the aquarium will be sump pumped out (I bought a small one just for the aquarium) and then filled with aged saltwater and live rock....but thats down the road a ways. Thanks again for the help !

Back
Top Bottom