External Skimmer Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InfernoST

Aquarium Advice Addict
I don't know if they make this but I was interested in getting an external skimmer that works independently (similar to a canister filter) that can be placed under my tank. I'm running a canister filter not a sump, and have an HOB skimmer which I would like to replace in the near future. Any ideas?

There is no skimmer made that can be run under the tank without a sump also under the tank. There is no way a skimmer can pump the water back up into the tank.

There is no skimmer made that can be run under the tank without a sump also under the tank. There is no way a skimmer can pump the water back up into the tank.
If it had a return pump similar to a sump it could, couldn't it?

You need a sump. There is no other way. It can be as simple as a HOB overflow going into a 5 gal bucket. The bucket would need a small pump, like a MJ 600, to feed the skimmer and another pump to return the water back to the tank.
You would feed the skimmer from the MJ in the bucket and the skimmer would have to dump back into the bucket. Basically, a sump.

The reason you can't use a skimmer by itself under the tank is:
1- the pump pushes water/air into the skimmer
2- no way to "pump" the water up into the tank
3- the output must be below the neck of the skimmer. It's what determines the water depth inside the skimmer. If the output is higher (like going up into the tank) the water will just pour out the top of the skimmer until the water level in your tank drops below the level of the overflow and can't feed it anymore.

Back
Top Bottom