Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-23-2019, 01:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Extremely clean filters?

Iíve had my AquaClear filter for 2 months and the tank has been established for 4 years. Iíve had a sponge filter for 2 years and it still looks brand new and I squeezed it out a few months ago and the water didnít turn brown or black. Same with the AquaClear; the sponge and filter floss donít even look dirty. I tested my water and the ammonia and nitrites are 0 and nitrates are 20. Shouldnít my filter media look disgusting, especially my sponge filter since Iíve had it for 2 years? Right now I have 5 cardinal tetras, 5 lemon tetras, and 1 rasbora.

Old 05-23-2019, 02:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Lol mine gets gnarly but I have a much heavier bioload. Yours is fairly light but I would think it would be somewhat dirty. Do you clean the sand during water changes? Maybe the flow in the tank isnít enough for it all to get sweeped up into the filter.

Old 05-23-2019, 02:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_fish View Post
Lol mine gets gnarly but I have a much heavier bioload. Yours is fairly light but I would think it would be somewhat dirty. Do you clean the sand during water changes? Maybe the flow in the tank isnít enough for it all to get sweeped up into the filter.

I have gravel but I gravel vac during every water change and I water change every week or every other week.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My guess is that the flow isnít high enough for the filter to pick it all up and you donít have a heavy bioload to start with so it just settling on the gravel but since youíre consistent with water changes and parameters are pretty good I think you should be fine. Iíd keep testing for a little bit longer to make sure if youíre still worried.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

You'll save a lot of money on filters
Old 05-23-2019, 03:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fisher View Post
You'll save a lot of money on filters

Definitely a great problem to have lol
Old 05-23-2019, 11:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My sponge filters usually put off a light tan color when rinsing them. Looking at them in the tank they don't look dirty at all. Now for hobs, any I have ever used get super dirty and the water looks like chocolate milk when rinsing. I am slowly moving away from hobs to canisters and sponge filters.

My guess for yours is you are gravel vaccing most of what would get caught in these out and your current isn't pushing the waste around. The waste is mostly settling in the gravel.

Tags
clean, filter, filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com