Fake or real? -- gravel substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tetra22

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is that "fake" gravel substrate you see, that's pink and blue and all those fancy colors, actually real rock just died fancy colors? Or is it all synthetic materials?

that "wow" was directed at the captain... i honestly dont know if its real gravel that has been painted or if it is something manufactured. either way, i dont use it because it doesnt look natural

Ok guys, I know I should have named this thread something different.

I am sure if it were real there would be some awesome colored river/ lake/ mountain somewhere. I would assume that it is some sort of crystal that is colored then crumbled.

The thing about the fake gravels is the colors can fade and some actually flake off. I just stay away from anything that looks like clown puke. The more natural gravels I think show off the fish better.

You might have to check the package to know for sure. I would think that lt's real gravel that is either plastic coated or dipped into some kind of acylic paint.

The colored gravel is color epoxy coated real rocks. <At least the package I had years ago said epoxy coated!>

An Example:
http://milo.com/stoney-river-epoxy-coated-aquarium-gravel-2-lb
says epoxy coated right on the package...

Some of the "gravels" are colored glass or ceramics. These have the advantage of not having the coating flaked off.

And I am changing the title so you guys won't get confused!!! :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom