Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Looks like there is a consistency problem that is industry wide.

Had I realized this thread was here, I wouldn't have made this one about my noisy and annoying Fluval C3 which sounds more like a mini diesel engine than an aquarium filter:

Two days of FluvalC3 are enough .. Best quiet filter?

And it almost seems like it keeps getting louder

Interesting, the Tetra Advanced power filter 30-60 I bought in 2010 was almost totally silent .... until it died in July of this year (maybe because I never cleaned the impeller). I bought another one at walmart ...... vibrated like crazy ..... took it back and got another one ..... it had same defect so I got the Aqua-Tech which works fine .... the impeller noise is reasonable given the high water flow and is not annoying at all.

Also, two design flaws with Fluval:
1) You get that babbling brook sound of spashing water ...... maybe some people like the sound of the great outdoors, but I think it's ridiulous.
2) You have to break the seal to get to the impeller and it can leak. Penguin, Tetra, & Aqua-Tech impellers can be removed for easy cleaning as the entire motor is enclosed in the housing ..... thus no leaks.

Looking at Amazon reviews ....... the only thing consistent about the reviews is that they're all inconsistent and overall quality of all brands seems to be going down.

Interesting to read the Amazon review(s) about recent deteriorating quality in Penguins:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1RAIIC...#R1RAIICPM2NRG

I am thinking ..... OK ...... so who has bought an HOB unit in the past six months and is happy with both their noise and filtration levels?

Old 08-31-2013, 04:25 PM   #12

Well, I just returned from a week vacation and my Aqueon QuietFlow 55 and AquaClear 110 HOBs were absolutely flawless in keeping the water clean and the cycle stable, as my fish were fine when we returned; before we left, I did some maintenance on both by cleaning them out pretty well, dunking all associated media parts in removed tank water, etc., and nothing was "off" upon our return home...

I still cast my ballot for Aqueon and (Hagen) AquaClear...

Old 09-02-2013, 11:30 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

For HOBs I vote for the Aquaclears. I have two. For the canisters I vote for the Fluval 06 series. I have a 206. I'm happy with all of them.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:33 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I hate every HOB filter I've ever owned. Everyone single one shoots bubbles into my tank. I'm looking at a canister now.
3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyfishies View Post
I hate every HOB filter I've ever owned. Everyone single one shoots bubbles into my tank. I'm looking at a canister now.
Well, the nature of HOB design is to return a waterfall-like flow back into the tank with filtered water -- if the top off level is high enough, these "bubbles" don't present an "issue"...though I will agree that keeping these levels topped off at a good point is beyond challenging, trying to get them to flow water back in at a good and "not too turbulent" pace...
Old 09-03-2013, 12:27 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtesiaWells View Post

Well, the nature of HOB design is to return a waterfall-like flow back into the tank with filtered water -- if the top off level is high enough, these "bubbles" don't present an "issue"...though I will agree that keeping these levels topped off at a good point is beyond challenging, trying to get them to flow water back in at a good and "not too turbulent" pace...
I've raised the water and lowered the water. Never could get it right...
3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyfishies View Post
I've raised the water and lowered the water. Never could get it right...
Some consider it an art form...
Old 09-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think that part of the bubble issue is the biowheel (or similar gimmick), which causes more "splash" when it rotates, and thus introduces bubbles. On all of mine, I have removed the biowheels and only have bubbles if the water drops below the return.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmolavi View Post
I think that part of the bubble issue is the biowheel (or similar gimmick), which causes more "splash" when it rotates, and thus introduces bubbles. On all of mine, I have removed the biowheels and only have bubbles if the water drops below the return.
Indeed, dmo...the biowheel equipped filters (i.e. Marineland) do this, as do the Aqueons from their "patented bio grid diffuser" that is a plastic bar which sits at the water return, essentially oxygenating the return water further before it hits the tank...some Aqueon enthusiasts call this a "supercharger" for the water or the ultimate water polisher when using these HOBs, but the bar can be removed for a "smoother" flow. I leave my diffuser bar in on my Aqueon QuietFlow 55...
Old 09-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

I only have small filters, Azoo Mignon 60 and 150, otherwise called Palm filters; 60 and 150 refer to LPH (liters per hour) and output flow is adjustable. I keep the water level high in my tanks high to reduce the waterfall noise and the mfgr suggested water level is even higher!

The Azoo filters are SUPER quiet unless something is wrong. The motor easily removes from the housing and the impeller just pulls right out to clean. The 60 comes with a nice prefilter intake sponge.

I have these setup with BioMax 20 media bags, I removed a few ceramics from the bags to get them to fit in the chamber, and topped off with AQ BioFoam30 blocks cut to size.

I'm planning a 23G tank and am looking at a canister so I can hide it, I like the price of the Marineland C-160 or was looking at the Fluval C2 HOB or the Hagen AQ30 - but I really don't want an HOB on this tank...

Off topic: Does anyone make a drop-in 3 chamber system like reef tanks have built in or it it reasonable to try and make one?

6G Planted 360į Round and Tall - 2G Pico Cube - 2G Nano Long - 23G Rimless Community Build - 20G Grow Out Tank
octanejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canister, filter, filters, hob, hob filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com