Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-13-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Favorite Canister and HOB Filters!

What do you think are the best Canister and HOB filters on the market today? how good of a job does it filter your tank?is it whisper quiet like most say they are? How many GPH does your Canister/HOB filter do? Just to name a few for HOB filters there is Aquaclear, Marineland Emperor, Tetra whisper, Top fin..etc. For canisters theres EHEIM (which is my favorite), Fluval, Cascade,...etc. So what are filters you like and what are some that you dislike?

Thanks

Old 08-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Aqua clears are the bomb for hob filters. Emperors are a close second. I have both and they work wonderfully. AC's are better because you can improvise with different types of media to see what works best for your setup and they are crazy quiet.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

If I didn't get 2 free Penguin 200s from Marineland, I would be using the AquaClears. But, the Penguins are great, very quiet, and keep my tank crystal clear. I've had them running for almost 2 years on the tank with no mechanical issues. I don't use the Marineland media, though. I have a 50 micron polishing pad, Purigen and Matrix in each.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I agree, don't use the marineland cartridges. They are not the best. I use marineland filter foam the double layered stuff with some poly-fil and some bio max beads after that to give a little extra bio filtration. Works like a champ for my oscar tank. The poly fiber is basically a polisher which keeps the water ultra clear. I still like the ac design better but for the money the emperors and penguins like dmo mentioned are good choices. They are just louder then the ac's.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I love the fuval c3 hob, it's amazing with 5 different stages of wet/dry filtration

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #6

My vote for HOBs are the Aqueon QuietFlows and the Hagen AquaClears.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmolavi View Post
If I didn't get 2 free Penguin 200s from Marineland, I would be using the AquaClears. But, the Penguins are great, very quiet, and keep my tank crystal clear. I've had them running for almost 2 years on the tank with no mechanical issues. I don't use the Marineland media, though. I have a 50 micron polishing pad, Purigen and Matrix in each.
Yeah I'm on the HOB train. I've never used the canister because of the cost and space they take up. I think more people are starting to see HOBs are versatile too. I use two Topfin 30s. I use the cartridge but I don't use the carbon. I place a 100mL bag of purigen on the clean water side of the mesh and there is space on the dirty water side to put another media bag or two. I'm trying to decide what i might want to place in that space..
Old 08-18-2013, 02:19 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i've always used XP Rena for canisters with great success. I believe they are now API Filstar. for HOB i've always used Marineland biowheels
Old 08-18-2013, 04:18 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgthebeast View Post
I love the fuval c3 hob, it's amazing with 5 different stages of wet/dry filtration
+1 on that!!!!

I like the C series better than my Aqua Clears. Innovative design I must say...I've been very impressed to say the least. AquaClear would be second best in terms of HOB's.

For canisters, the Fluval 106 and a 306 are in my arsenal and were chosen after TONS of RESEARCH. I'm happy with my purchases and would buy them again if needed. Fantastic canisters and really quiet. Easily customizable media compartments. Specs are all online.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hello Fish...

Hagen AquaClear and Tetra Whisper are both good depending on the tank set up. Canisters are 3 to 4 times the price of these two and labor intensive to maintain. I don't think the canisters are 3 to 4 times better.

Just me though,

B

Tags
canister, filter, filters, hob, hob filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com