Feeding Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sampla

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 29G tank . I have a Pleco that is about 10 inches , the other is about 6 . I have 2 African Butterflies , a Parrot and 5 small Tiger Barbs . I think I may be overfeeding - what do you suggest ? Also , how long do your lights stay on per day ? Thanks .......

to large of fish for a 29G

If you have no live plants then you only need the light on when viewing or short period per day otherwise you'll get algae

I know - everyone has said that but I wouldn't even know how to move one that big . And the grandkids would be upset ........Lost another barb today so I have 5 other small fish and the 2 plecos.I just think I may be feeding too much .

If you dont already have one get a liquid drop test kit for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate. or post the results if you have them or the LFS can test your water.

Get a bigger tank. That's the only solution if you want to keep the fish and if you want to keep the fish heathy. It's not right to compromise the health of the other fish just because you want to keep it in a tank that is way too small. A 75 would be the MINIMUM tank for that size fish and I say that because I know you wouldn't even consider going with a 125 gallon tank which is the minimum that I'd keep it in. A 75 would be much better though and you could add more filtration to the tank to help keep the waste down. Either upgrade the tank or lose the pleco.

Also, your tank is WAY overstocked and that's why you are encountering algae. It's not that you are overfeeding, it's that you have a HIGH level of nitrates because you have large/dirty fish. Got lots of brown on the sides of the tank huh?

why do you think you're feeding them too much?

He's definitely got an algae problem if he's asking about overfeeding and asking how long we all keep our lights on per day in the tank in the same thread. Overfeeding leads to an increase in nitrates and without live plants and sufficient CO2 algae will rapidly take over. This becomes noticeable by the brown on the sides of the aquarium and in the substrate as well as the surfaces of everything else.

He's definitely got an algae problem if he's asking about overfeeding and asking how long we all keep our lights on per day in the tank in the same thread. Overfeeding leads to an increase in nitrates and without live plants and sufficient CO2 algae will rapidly take over. This becomes noticeable by the brown on the sides of the aquarium and in the substrate as well as the surfaces of everything else.
I was asking the thread started who actually HAS the tank. Not making presumptions.

I was asking the thread started who actually HAS the tank. Not making presumptions.

We'll just wait for him to tell you exactly what I already stated then. Maybe you'll take notes on how to read between the lines and give people some credit for knowing how aquariums work. Stay tuned.

We'll just wait for him to tell you exactly what I already stated then. Maybe you'll take notes on how to read between the lines and give people some credit for knowing how aquariums work. Stay tuned.
I'm still a newbie. I don't know enough to 'read between the lines' or presume what someone's problem is. I'm here to learn, not become a know-it-all. Besies, looks like that spots already taken.

I don't know it all. There's a lot I don't know and I'm constantly learning. What I DO know is that he has an algea problem. There's no way he doesn't in a 29 gallon tank with 16 inches of pleco a parrot, and 2 African butterflies. He's obviously worried about overfeeding, but why? What is one SURE THING that excess food produces? That's right kids and newbies, NITRATES! But wait, what's that, algae loves nitrates and will rapidly grow if no plants are present and lights are on for an extended length of time??? WOW! I think I figured out what's going on by reading between the lines. Please give my gold star to the newblet so he doesn't feel bad. Maybe someday he'll grow big and strong with knowledge like teh Great.

P.S You can call me Conquistador if you'd like.

I don't want to cause an argument here . I do not have dirty glass - I just have a slightly orange haze to the water ,. And , I have tested it and everything is in the safe zones . After I shut down the UGF this morning as was suggested , I have already seen a difference .I only asked about feeding because I am not sure how much they eat -or need to eat . As for lights , I asked because I have had 5 different answers in a week ........
Oh , and "he" is a "she" - name's valeri !

I don't know it all. There's a lot I don't know and I'm constantly learning. What I DO know is that he has an algea problem. There's no way he doesn't in a 29 gallon tank with 16 inches of pleco a parrot, and 2 African butterflies. He's obviously worried about overfeeding, but why? What is one SURE THING that excess food produces? That's right kids and newbies, NITRATES! But wait, what's that, algae loves nitrates and will rapidly grow if no plants are present and lights are on for an extended length of time??? WOW! I think I figured out what's going on by reading between the lines. Please give my gold star to the newblet so he doesn't feel bad. Maybe someday he'll grow big and strong with knowledge like teh Great.

P.S You can call me Conquistador if you'd like.
There's lots of things I'd like to call you but I'm too much of a lady to do so.

There's lots of things I'd like to call you but I'm too much of a lady to do so.

How mature of you to resort to name calling. Maybe grow up before posting on a forum where mature conversations take place.

The orange water is indicative of algae in the water column. You are overfeeding. FWIW I'd ditch the UGF as they are nothing but nitrate traps. You can't tell how dirty they are before it's too late.

How mature of you to resort to name calling. Maybe grow up before posting on a forum where mature conversations take place.

The orange water is indicative of algae in the water column. You are overfeeding. FWIW I'd ditch the UGF as they are nothing but nitrate traps. You can't tell how dirty they are before it's too late.
I don't see where anyone called you any names. /shrug

I'm still a newbie. I don't know enough to 'read between the lines' or presume what someone's problem is.

OK I'll ask how much do you feed your fish? In your case I would feed what they will eat in 3 minutes, After lights out add 2 or 3 algae wafers.

As for lights 1 20 watt fluorescent should be fine unless you will have live plants. I turn mine on while I'm home, as they will do fine without Unless the room is very dark.

If you disconnected your UG filter what are you using as a filter?

Here's a trick I learned just a few years ago. Take your fingers and make some bubbles in your tank. The bubbles should pop fairly quickly and not float away. If they stay too long it's pwc time.

Back
Top Bottom