Filling Up My Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would put a teaspoon of pure ammonia then test to see what levels i got.Then test again 2-3 days later,with adding the bio spria there should be some sort of bacti base started A small piece of live rock can only help things along

You can if you want. The more live rock you have the faster the tank will cycle in my opinion and experience. But on the same note, you can add an ammonia source with only base rock and it will cycle as well. Live rock can introduce nice and not so nice hitchhikers and it will also, if you purchase a piece with coralline on it, bring that into your tank. The purple algae will not grow unless you bring it in somehow. You can also, after cycling, put in snails or other critters that have purple on their shells and that would work also.

image-1690672046.jpg

Added a 3 lb live rock. Also added a green Chromis.

Should I leave my Emperor 400 on to filter the tank?

It will help polish the water i'd leave it on IMO there's no such thing as to much filtration

My Chromis likes to hide behind the lip of the Emperor spout. ;)

I have to get him/her some friends. They are incredibly shy. This one is finding more and more places to hide.

So what should I be testing for and how often? Pics coming soon.

When adding new fish to a new system I generally test for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates as well. If you see a spike in the first two then you know you have some water changes to do. lol I usually test every day or every other for say a week or two just to be sure.

When adding new fish to a new system I generally test for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates as well. If you see a spike in the first two then you know you have some water changes to do. lol I usually test every day or every other for say a week or two just to be sure.

(y) The reason being is that the beneficial bacteria balance to the load that you have in your system..... when you add additional livestock, the BB have to catch up with the extra bioload, which can cause a mini-spike in ammo & nitrites for a few days or more, depending on how much is added.

Just tested water. Ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are all low at 0 ppm.

I dint think your cycled yet, there should be some nitrates Test again in 2-3 days

Back
Top Bottom