Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-25-2005, 06:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to mrcrazypants05
FilStar Bio-Chem Zorb

Does anyone use this in their filters? Is it like carbon? Should I take it out and replace it with more of some other kind of media?

65RR - SW - 30g Sump w/fuge - 40lbs MI LR 30lbs Base - 4-5"Sand Bed - 2 false black perculas, 1 six line wrasse, 1 peppermint shrimp, 6 zebra hermits, 6 blue leg hermits, 6 nassarius snails, 6 astrea snails
mrcrazypants05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 10:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to gheitman Send a message via Yahoo to gheitman
I don't use it in my Filstar xP1. I use Seachem's Matrix biological media instead.

Old 09-26-2005, 06:20 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I took it out and replaced it with more biomedia.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of Liberty -JFK
fishyrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 02:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to mrcrazypants05
Alright so then thats what I shall do... seems like its pretty much just carbon anyway. It needs to be changed out so I'll throw some bio-stars in there or something... Any recommendations for that? I'm currently using the aquaclear bio stuff... i bought two that are used for their largest filters which are supposed to be for like 110 gallons a piece I believe...
65RR - SW - 30g Sump w/fuge - 40lbs MI LR 30lbs Base - 4-5"Sand Bed - 2 false black perculas, 1 six line wrasse, 1 peppermint shrimp, 6 zebra hermits, 6 blue leg hermits, 6 nassarius snails, 6 astrea snails
mrcrazypants05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 09:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

When I set up my filter, I just bought a box of the biomedia that happened to be on sale at the time. I don't remember the brand name, though, since it was a while back.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of Liberty -JFK
fishyrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 01:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

This is a 'specialty' filter media ...

according to the mfgr, Rena Bio-Chem Zorb ... "contains a unique blend of ion exchange and organic scavenger resins, along with activated carbon. Removes aquarium pollutants without removing trace elements"

IMHO if you have 'decent quality' water to start with, if you have adequate 'conventional' mechanical filtration, and you have established sufficient bacterial biofiltration to control nitrites, then the 'trick' features of the selectively absorptive resins aren't needed and plain old activated carbon will work just fine. Or if you need to boost bacterial biofiltration simply fill the tray with bio-noodles.

Tags
bio, filstar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com