Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-12-2010, 08:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Filstar XP 2 Problem - Video Included :)

Hey guys, the filter is just over 2 years old and the other day it started to repeatedly make a very strange sound during which time the water output slows/stops. Note that this issue is constant and occurs over and over again.

I cleaned it and had a look-see but didn't notice anything that would make me think there's a problem. In all honesty, even if there was something wrong, I probably wouldn't know what the heck it was anyhow as I am not very mechanically inclined.

Thankfully, it's the year 2010 and I can post a video of the problem so you can hear and see it for yourselves:

YouTube - Filter Issue

The first part of the video is the sound that the filter itself is making. The second part of the video shows what the water output looks like during the time that the filter makes the noise.

So, to all of my expert AA friends.... what part do I need? Or do I need a whole new filter? IF I do need a new filter, are the XP2's still considered good? (I've been away from these forums for a long time). Maybe I'll get the XP3?

TIA!

Old 09-12-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would inspect the impeller. I am not sure of the exact filter but I do know that the impeller is the only moving part on most filters. Take the impeller out and check the magnet and the blades. The impellars do need to be replaced from time to time.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:35 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks.
What exactly should I be looking for? It "looks" fine to me.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:45 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are there notches in the magnet? Is it still perfectly round? Does the impellar drive shaft wiggle? Does impellar move up and down more than "normal"? Since you can post a video, I would be more than happy to check a video of it. If you do, try to video removal as well. Also, last time you cleaned, there is a possiblity that the impellar was not seated properly. Make sure to check the rubber ends to make sure they look clean and in place. No cracks or mal formations.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

There's nothing wrong with it. It's just trying to play your fishes some music. Lol if you do need a new one I would suggest the emporer bio wheel filter by marineland. If you want a canister filter marineland makes some good canisters too. I think ones called the magnum and one called the HOT but I'm not sure. Right now I have a penguin 150 and love It but want to upgrade to a emporer for my 28g. Or I might try a marineland canister. I'd check the impeller that's what that sound usually means. What brand makes the xp filters?
Old 09-12-2010, 12:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

sounds like some cavitation. You may want to check your o-rings on all the connections and make sure the can is primed fully. They'll make weird noises like that when air gets in there

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good point. If there is air in the hose or even canister then there will be hiccups with water flow.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
sounds like some cavitation. You may want to check your o-rings on all the connections and make sure the can is primed fully. They'll make weird noises like that when air gets in there
that's exactly it. Check the intake and make sure the ball valve is clean. then prime. If it doesn't fully prime I like to raise the output and suck start it. FW water is a lot better tasting than SW.

Tags
filstar, video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com