Filstar XP 2 Problem - Video Included :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

realdeal

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, the filter is just over 2 years old and the other day it started to repeatedly make a very strange sound during which time the water output slows/stops. Note that this issue is constant and occurs over and over again.

I cleaned it and had a look-see but didn't notice anything that would make me think there's a problem. In all honesty, even if there was something wrong, I probably wouldn't know what the heck it was anyhow as I am not very mechanically inclined. ;)

Thankfully, it's the year 2010 and I can post a video of the problem so you can hear and see it for yourselves:

YouTube - Filter Issue

The first part of the video is the sound that the filter itself is making. The second part of the video shows what the water output looks like during the time that the filter makes the noise.

So, to all of my expert AA friends.... what part do I need? Or do I need a whole new filter? IF I do need a new filter, are the XP2's still considered good? (I've been away from these forums for a long time). Maybe I'll get the XP3?

TIA!

I would inspect the impeller. I am not sure of the exact filter but I do know that the impeller is the only moving part on most filters. Take the impeller out and check the magnet and the blades. The impellars do need to be replaced from time to time.

Are there notches in the magnet? Is it still perfectly round? Does the impellar drive shaft wiggle? Does impellar move up and down more than "normal"? Since you can post a video, I would be more than happy to check a video of it. If you do, try to video removal as well. Also, last time you cleaned, there is a possiblity that the impellar was not seated properly. Make sure to check the rubber ends to make sure they look clean and in place. No cracks or mal formations.

There's nothing wrong with it. It's just trying to play your fishes some music. Lol if you do need a new one I would suggest the emporer bio wheel filter by marineland. If you want a canister filter marineland makes some good canisters too. I think ones called the magnum and one called the HOT but I'm not sure. Right now I have a penguin 150 and love It but want to upgrade to a emporer for my 28g. Or I might try a marineland canister. I'd check the impeller that's what that sound usually means. What brand makes the xp filters?

sounds like some cavitation. You may want to check your o-rings on all the connections and make sure the can is primed fully. They'll make weird noises like that when air gets in there

Good point. If there is air in the hose or even canister then there will be hiccups with water flow.

sounds like some cavitation. You may want to check your o-rings on all the connections and make sure the can is primed fully. They'll make weird noises like that when air gets in there

that's exactly it. Check the intake and make sure the ball valve is clean. then prime. If it doesn't fully prime I like to raise the output and suck start it. FW water is a lot better tasting than SW.

Back
Top Bottom