Filstar XP3 setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mark5047

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! I did try and do a search for this before posting, so sorry if this is already posted somewhere.
I am going to be setting up an XP3 canister filter. I had 2 questions about the setup. My tank is a 55 gallon long. Should I try and run the intake and outlet tubes on opposite sides of the tank? Or is there no real difference between that and putting outlet and inlet right next to each other. The instruction manual shows both ways. The second question: is there any reason to choose the spray bar over the power jet nozzle on the outlet? I dont have any live plants, and really don't plan on it if it makes a difference.
My tank is located on a stand between the kitchen and living room so we can see both sides depending on which room you are in, and I want to make the tubes look as nice as possible. It will already look a lot nicer once I remove the UGF uplift tubes.

Thanks a lot!!
Mark

it all depends on your flow. is this the only filter-powerhead that you are using?
i have this filter on my 55 saltwater along with 2 pwer heads and a skimmer.
i prefer the spraybar because it gives you a wider area of flow and not as forceful.
i also think that it doesnt give your pump as hard of a time(less resistance) make a more quite system.
i would put them on difent sides: especialy if this is your only means of water flow.

:?:

Dorian,

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't planning on adding any other powerhead with this. Is that something I should consider or would this be sufficent.
Might help if I mentioned what was in the tank
2 Koi Angels
2 Gold Gorami
6 neon
1 danio
1 molly
1 pleco

Mark

Well, I have the filstar up and running. I had to turn down the flow a little bit in it. It was pushing my little fish all over the place. I am thinking this is going to move the water enough by itself.
By the way, as a newbie to all of this, it was not hard at all to install and get up and running. Very easy to work with.
Thanks again for the help. I will let you know how it goes from here

Mark

yeah, i dont know alot about fresh water but i think it will be fine. good luck!

dorian

I'm not sure how you're turning down the flow on your filter but restricting its normal out put could hurt it in the long run. If the current is too strong, drill out the holes on your spray bar until you get the current flow you want. Start small and then progress until you get the effect you want to achieve. I had to do this with both my Eheim 2217 and my Jebo 828. Also, changing the angle of the spray bar might help, like angling it more forward than straight down. HTH

the filstar has a ball valve built into the sprayabr to adjust the output of the pump.

Your not really adjusting the outflow on the pump, you're just restricting it. If restricted too much it could put unnecessary backpressure on your filter's pump. I think drilling out the spray bar is still the best option. JMO

Mark5047 - What filter media are you using? I have an XP3 on the way and am wondering what to do about filter media. Guess I should have thought about this earlier so I could just place a single order but 'hindsight'. ;)

Back
Top Bottom