Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-30-2006, 07:00 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got my XP3 and set it up and was wondering if it was normal to have a definate humm to the pump. I was under the impression that these are basically silent filters and the pump on mine is quite loud if you ask me. It isn't a huge deal I just wanted to know if this is normal or if I did something wrong. The only thing I have differently is that I didn't cut the hoses yet because I am in the process of working up my plans for my new stand and am going to build shortly and I don't wanna cut them too short. If this is the problem though I could cut them and then just buy new stuff from the local hardware store when I get my new stand. TIA

tmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:11 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
mine was pretty loud also. not sure if it got more quite or if i just got used to it. my remora skimmer is so loud that i cant even hear the tv.

try turning it off and tilting it from side to side to make sure that you get all the air out of it.

dorian965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:18 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist
I think you may be correct. I was just checking it out and I noticed that there is an air pocket in it. I just wonder cuz I am just under the needed 24" mark for the distance under the water line. I wonder if there isn't enough down flow coming out of the tank to get it totally filled. Maybe until I get my stand I'll have to throw two more concrete blocks under my tank. Hmm.. Thanks so much for the quick reply though!!!
tmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 09:55 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
I can only hear a slight humm if I open the door to the base of the tank. With it closed, all I heas is the water flow from my Emperor 400. I don't hear my XP3 outside of the base with the door closed. And my tank is next to my bed.

55G Filstar XP3 - 16" Fire Eel
75G Medium Planted - Filstar XP3 Low Light - Established Feb 2006
Lonewolfblue is offline   Reply With Quote

filstar, setup, xp3

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com