filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

which is best for a 40g

• power filter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • undergravel filter

• canister filter

• Total voters
I'd use a power filter simply because it better fits into my budget, but a canister is also a great choice. Skip the UGF though, they are essentially just outdated waste traps and a power filter or canister will be much better for you. The Aquaclear 200 will probably be ok but I personally would have picked the AC 300 instead, as I like to turn my water over about 10 times per hour if possible (the 300 wouldn't do this either, but the next size up is the 500 and that would just be overkill). Or if you want you could add a second AC 200 for a total of 400 gph, but it wouldn't really be necessary I'm sure, just a personal preference of mine. :mrgreen:

IMO the canister filter is the best. It holds tons of media and you have the chioce of what media to use. They also can filter tons of water and they make it so you can put your tank right up aginst the wall.

Power filters are cheaper and they do work very well but you need to leave the tank out a good ways from the wall.

Undergravel filters are just way out dated and a waste trap as already stated.
I wouldn't waste my money.

I vote for canister overall, especially for planted tanks. (same reasons as
oscarbreeder) However power filters work well otherwise and are cheaper.

I have a power filter on my 30g and a canister on my 75g.

Power Filter - Great for keeping tank water clear and has an absolutely amazing ease of maintenance.

Canister - A larger amount of filtration for the size of the tank. Massive amount of media baskets. Also, makes the tank footprint a lot smaller as you don't need as much room in the rear of the tank. I saved 4".

Aquaclears require very little maintenance. They don't have those cartridges that you have to change, you can just rinse the sponge block in tankwater during PWCs every once in a while.

I love my aquaclear 300gph, with my 55 gallon. I agree that UG filters are horrible, i had one and it felt like all i ever did was siphon junk out of the gravel. Now ive got all live plants and my power filter and its so much easier to maintain. I would love to invest in a canister filter in the future becasue i heard they are wonderful. 0X

Power filters are best imo. You can use them on fw or sw. You can put whatever you want in it. I have 2 sw tanks and use the Tetratec 500 with built-in 200w heater on each. They are both filled with live rock rubble and any other media I need to add temporarily(carbon, chemipure, etc). I also have an aquaclear300 modded into a fuge and it works great.

electrikat said:
Power filters are best imo. You can use them on fw or sw. You can put whatever you want in it.

How is this an argument for power filters? You can do the same with canisters, and only the really top of the line Power filters allow for much variety at all in media.

i would have to say canister filter

dont know why, i just recommend them because IMO the clean the water a heck of alot better than normal power filters

I think people are defending power filters because they have them on their tanks. I did too for a long time, and they work great. Now I have a canister and it works even better. You can't go wrong with either, but a good canister filter is the best.

It wasn't intended to be an argument just a statement about how I feel about my filters. I happen to like the hang on tank filters. I like knowing the water will probably not be able to get out of the tank. The few canister filters I have seen with my own eyes have been under the tank with hoses running to and from the tank. I don't really trust anything that is external to the tank. I have a sump on my 90g with an overflow box, and it is the only source of stress to me. I am constantly checking to be sure the flow hasn't stopped and water isn't about to overflow. The canisters might filter marginally better but to me it is just not worth the added worry. I also like that my heater is in the filter and heats all the water evenly. Again, it all comes down to personal opinion.

Back
Top Bottom