Filter advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dud

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello:

I got an old aquarium set from my friend, and it has a whisper 10 filter. It only takes a 'bio bag' which is a cotton bag with carbon in it, and the product description says to replace it every month or so. Also, the product webpage says that biobag deals with chemical and mechanical filtering, but no mention on biological filtering. LFS says just to rinse to biobag every month and keep using it (so that I keep the nitrogen related bacteria living there).

I even thought of ripping of some of the cotton from the old bio bag and put it in the new one, that way I might be able to retain some of the bacteria, but I think that might hinder the mechanical filtering capability of the biobag, so probably not a good idea.

So many opinions, I don't know what to do. Any comments?

It's always been my opinion that you have enough beneficial bacteria in an established gravel base. I replace my cartridges, have always done so, and have never had a problem. I do have bio-wheels, which may be why I haven't had a problem in over 10 years of doing it.

i change my bags every like 3-6 months. i also have a bio wheel. personally i also think theres enough bacteria in the water/gravel that i think it'll be okay to change it

Don't know what your budget is like, but you could consider purchasing a Penguin Mini filter for around $20. This would come with a biowheel and after that has established bacteria, changing the filter would no longer be any issue whatsoever.

Also, the Penguin Mini would be far superior to a Whisper 10.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom