Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-24-2005, 10:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to mumrah
filter advice

I've recently bought a 55g tank from one of my professors that came with an undergravel filter. Knowing this wouldnt provided enough filtration (or current) for my desired fish, i bought a HOT magnum 250. This thing worked great for the first month or so, but recently it's been crapping out.

I had added some peat to the filter in hopes to lower my pH. After a few days i noticed there was very little current in the water. I checked out the filter, and the peat was causing the blockage. So i cleaned out the canister, rinsed the filter really well, and reassmbled it. Now, the filter barely trickles any water with the filter element in. I removed it and put in the waterpolishing thingy just so my fish could have some current back.

I have two questions about this.

1- i've decieded i want to construct a small wet/dry in the sump i've created. what's an economical way to approach this. my sump is a 10g. i would also like to have a refuge down there, but i think space may be an issue.

2- was the peat the real reason for this filter media clogging up so quickly? I've heard that these magnum canisters really do well at mechanical filtration and get really dirty really quick. If this is true, i dont think i can afford to replace a 15.00 filter element every month. Or i'd like to not have to.

TIA,
David

Old 02-24-2005, 11:36 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

maybe this should be posted in the DIY forum. You would get alot more hits there. Those DIY guys have alot of knowledge about stuff like that. DIY sump are pretty common so I'm sure you would get some help.

Irish Proverb

Ray

90 gal
9 L. Cearuleus
5 C. Moorii
4 P. Acei
2 N. Venustus
2 I. Sprengerae
1 unidentified Mbuna
1 Peacock with a slightly deformed tail.
xray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 11:59 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to SerLunchbox Send a message via AIM to SerLunchbox Send a message via MSN to SerLunchbox Send a message via Yahoo to SerLunchbox
when cleaning out your filter are you actually cleaning the tubing or just the cannister? whenever a filter does that "barely trickles"action it usually means there is something blocking the lines. I have the same filter and it has been running great for about 2 months now ... with proper cleaning. Upon looking at my magnum, are you sure it has been put together properly? also, try putting the peat into a mesh bag. i know the filter has room for it.

Tankless ... for now ... until i find what i really want (and what the wife lets me get!)
SerLunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 04:04 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I would take the cover off the motor and check the impeller, as I agree that there is something blocking it. Peat needs to be in a media bag, as mentioned, so if it was not then particles of it are likely gunking things up. It is also possible that the motor has been fried while it was struggling to pump water, but examine the parts thoroughly before scrapping it.

If you do decide to make a sump then definitely post in the DIY forum, where you will get help from people who have done it.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 04:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ahh I love UGF's with power heads
Old 03-02-2005, 01:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to mumrah
it's all back to normal now. I just had to clean out the canister, and rinse the filter very well.

How would you run an UGF with a power head?

55g:
5 clown loaches
1 common pleco
1 veiled angel
5 glofish

Tap Water: ph 7.5, 9 dkh, 11 dgh
mumrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 04:55 PM   #7
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
[acronym="Under Gravel Filter"]ould you run an [acronym="Under Gravel Filter"]UGF[/acronym] with a power head?[/quote:387b856f5a]

You attach it (sometimes requires inexpensive adapter bits, often supplied with the powerhead) to the top of the uplift tube....so it sucks water up the tube.

Put that peat in a fine mesh media bag or you will see clogging problems again. From this point forward, once monthly (at least), dissemble the entire filter and thoroughly clean all parts, including using a tube brush on the tubes.

www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter, filter advice

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com