filter & UV sterilizer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was looking around on google and i saw

AquaTop Power Filter w/ UV Sterilizer | PetSolutions

I was wondering if anyone has had any adventures with them good or bad. I just put a UV sterilizer in my 75 and it looks a clearer, not saying it was the UV but it happened after that. but i also put in a circulation pump.

I'm kind of suspicious of them in a combined unit. I have a separate internal UV unit and one in a canister filter. The water does look a bit clearer after the internal one was added. The canister UV is high flow and I'm not quite convinced it is well designed. I do think a well designed UV unit shouldn't do any harm and may have some benefit. I've still had fish infections so I don't think they are a magic sword however I only run mine 8 hrs a day.

I think the jury is still out on whether a UV Steriliser is really worth being used. They only seem to help if you have floating algae (and any bad bacteria etc). I still think there's nothing better than just good filtration.

Even then it seems that the more you want it to do, the better designed and more expensive it has to be. Which I guess makes sense. It won't stop fungal infections either. I think in a tank they are a nice-to-have but having said all that, I leave mine in as I have the room and it may give bit of an edge.

Also it may help with the redox balance as mentioned below but frankly that is beyond me yet.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/aquariumuvsterilization.html

Yeah, I think it's one of those things that if you already have it, it's a case of "May as well leave it in, it won't do any harm". If I ever have a problem with floating algae I'll probably give one a go.

I must admit too that I'm a sucker for trying this stuff out. A second tank would keep me out of mischief but I'm told we really do need the sofa...

I must admit too that I'm a sucker for trying this stuff out. A second tank would keep me out of mischief but I'm told we really do need the sofa...

Haha, I'm in the same boat. We had an extension done on our kitchen, so that's now turned into the lounge area. Trying to get a 200 gallon in what was/is our lounge, as it's no longer used. Perhaps one day it will just; 'appear' :whistle:

Back
Top Bottom