filter broke help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richpowell1989

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi last night my filter broke for no reason I tried to fix it my local lfs (my best mate works there so I get alot of work free lol) tried to fix it this morning nothin happened so I bought a new fluval u4 I got to say this filter is amazing !! The problem I have is my tank is well established with fish plants the lot now I am worried that if I put my new filter in won't it harm the fish due to the fact that the filter aint been cycled? The tank has been running for over 2 years so that's fine I just don't want my new filter to kill the fish anyone got any ideas on ways I cud put it in the tank but without killing anything? Thanks rich

I'm not an expert and I'm actually in the process of cycling my tank. But from all the information I've gathered in the past month I think the best thing you can do now is to transfer your old filter media to the new filter. It should give you a head start.

Hopefully the beneficial bacteria from the old filter media hasn't died due to the lack of water.

Meanwhile check your water parameters and do pwc as needed.

The problem is I the old filter media is big n round n I now have a fluval u 4 the media will not fit in

I had a similar problem, so I just cut the old media sponge to smaller pieces to fit into new filter. You have to be careful though-- I pack my filter so tight it almost stopped the water flow and in result I killed 10 Guppies, shrimp and a Glass Catfish...

As far as I'm concerned lots of bacteria is sitting in the gravel and decorations as well.

Just be careful and monitor your water parameters closely.

Well I manger to get my old filter working but it don't sound healthy lol I am running that in my tank as well as my new one jus till my new filter is ready, how long before I Shud take my old filter out?

I have a suggestion, although it is pretty ugly. Take the old filter and put it in the tank near the intake of the new filter. Leave it there for a couple of weeks and your filter should pick up a lot of the BB and start its own culture.

It's good to have them running for as long as possible, I've heard for something like two or three weeks should be ok. After that remember to check your water parameters!

Back
Top Bottom