Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Filter capacity?

How can you tell the capacity of a filter? By that I mean how much can it clean?

Okay, basically, I'm trying to build a canister filter, my question is how to judge what it can handle? Does more media make it better or more water flow? Is there a rule of thumb for figuring this out?

Ps. I'm not sure if this belongs here, or in DIY, so apologies in advance if its misplaced.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOutCastX View Post
How can you tell the capacity of a filter? By that I mean how much can it clean?

Okay, basically, I'm trying to build a canister filter, my question is how to judge what it can handle? Does more media make it better or more water flow? Is there a rule of thumb for figuring this out?

Ps. I'm not sure if this belongs here, or in DIY, so apologies in advance if its misplaced.
Both are important, you want good flow and a ton of room for media. What are you using to build one and what size is your tank. Just beware this isn't a simple task. The canisters on the market utilize a siphon effect which in turn puts pressure on the walls of the canister. These filters were designed to withhold that pressure. People have accomplished this using the buckets you can get at Home Depot but I've heard they will warp. The extent at which those who have tried it go to make sure it doesn't leak or warp is to me not worth the time or trouble. These DIY canisters are best used on the same level as the tank, so not underneath in a cabinet in which would create the siphon pressure. Others may have had success with this and I'm not trying to dissuade you, it's just not a simple task if your trying to simulate the typical under tank canister.

Old 08-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Currently, I've got a 30 gallon. But I would like to upgrade to a 100 gallon eventually. I've seen a decent guide for making a canister out of pvc piping, which makes sense because they're made for water anyway. It utilizes a siphon effect so there's miminal load on the pump.
Really I want to know how I can tell or where I can find info on the amount of medi ill need and the gollans per hour the pump needs to be.

I still have a lot of research to do before building it, this is just a part of that, so please brutal honesty is appreciated.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com