Filter cartridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you look at the filter and it has a plastic insert, it should have the word Tetra on it.(mine does)
If it does then any tetra or whisper refill for a medium size i believe will fit. I get them from Walmart 3 refills for about $5.

a lot of people have been suggesting to me not to change the cartridge, just rinse it in tank water from a water change...

Why are you replacing the cartridge? Rinse it in used tank water unless it is falling apart. If it is falling apart, go back to the store that you purchased the filter.

R&L said:
If you look at the filter and it has a plastic insert, it should have the word Tetra on it.(mine does)
If it does then any tetra or whisper refill for a medium size i believe will fit. I get them from Walmart 3 refills for about $5.
it does say tetra...and i've had the cartridge for like 3 months now....someone told me to just clean it in tank water but replace it every 2-3 months...

FishyPeanut said:
a lot of people have been suggesting to me not to change the cartridge, just rinse it in tank water from a water change...

That's what I've always done, but mostly out of laziness. I figured it's already got bacteria and such in it, and if I just clean the grime off of it, then I'm all set. Glad to see that it's not a bad way to handle things.

I think it depends on your filter and the media that it uses. I have an Eclipse system that has ratehr small carbon trays that are not refillable. I tend to replace them every 3-4 weeks, they arent too expensive ($10 for a 3 pack) and i just write it off as its my pets health.

With active carbon you have to make sure that you can replace the carbon, if you cannot then you need to replace the filter media or else you risk the toxins that it has adsorbed (thats not a typo) getting back in to the tank. For as cheap as my media is i would rather just replace it every 3-4 weeks and not take any risks.

-Pleco

You have a Top Fin 10 Filter. You have to buy the cartridge that fits the filter. I already linked the one you need.

If it has activated carbon, the carbon will lose its effectiveness after a few months. One reason I don't like the "all-in-one" single cartidge filters is in order to replace the carbon, you have to throw away all the great biological filtration you've built up (which is more important and effective than the activated carbon anyway). That's why a lot of better filters have separate sponge and carbon or zeolite modules that can be replaced on a rotating basis. Since I mostly use canister filters, I use loose carbon that I replace every couple months, and rinse out the sponge in tank water (gently), just enough to unclog it.

Back
Top Bottom