Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-13-2011, 11:24 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet

Humm... didn't say anything about a sponge filter, but yes they do need an air pump from what I've seen. Only that would be separate filtration from the Aqueon wouldn't it. I use the HBH filter pad in place of the over priced, carbon filled cartridges in my Aqueon filter (well did, it's in the garage now).
My question was, could I take a single filter cartridge, and turn that into a sponge filter sortve. For example put the filter into the tank, and have the air pump suck in the particles. Or would this be a waste of time, and wouldn't actually work?

Old 06-13-2011, 11:26 PM   #12
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I dont think you could make that work. You'd need some sort of tube to create the lift that pulls the water through the filter pad... and, well, a sponge filter would be cheaper ($8 or so?) and easier (much easier!). Plus, sponges on sponge filters are way better than a filter cartridge IMO

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:28 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516
I dont think you could make that work. You'd need some sort of tube to create the lift that pulls the water through the filter pad... and, well, a sponge filter would be cheaper ($8 or so?) and easier (much easier!). Plus, sponges on sponge filters are way better than a filter cartridge IMO
Ok, thank you! I was trying to think of doing something different. Thanks for answering.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:33 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmGoby View Post
My question was, could I take a single filter cartridge, and turn that into a sponge filter sortve. For example put the filter into the tank, and have the air pump suck in the particles. Or would this be a waste of time, and wouldn't actually work?
Oh lol. I thought you wanted to put some sponge into your Aqueon filter :P. Why use overpriced cartridges for a sponge filter? What size tank is this for? Why not get an Aqua Clear power filter?

I'd say no, it'd be a pain to try and retro fit a cartridge into a sponge filter IMO. I'd think you could buy a whole sponge filter unit for the cost of a box of cartridges.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:44 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet

Oh lol. I thought you wanted to put some sponge into your Aqueon filter :P. Why use overpriced cartridges for a sponge filter? What size tank is this for? Why not get an Aqua Clear power filter?

I'd say no, it'd be a pain to try and retro fit a cartridge into a sponge filter IMO. I'd think you could buy a whole sponge filter unit for the cost of a box of cartridges.
Sorry for the confusion, its for a two gallon.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:10 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you rigged a tube to the cartridge and put air tubing attached to the side that puts bubbles into the tube in theory would work, probably cheaper to buy one though, but not as fun ;p

Tags
cartridge, diy, filter, sponge, sponge filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com