Filter Cartridge Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chriznat20

Aquarium Advice Freak
So what does an aquarium keeper do when their filter cartridge gets so dirty that rinsing it with tank water and vigorously shaking it to get the gunk off does nothing?

My Penguin has been bypassing the filter for a few days now (i.e. the water is flowing over the TOP of the cartridge and over both overflow routes by the pickup tube). I decided to take it out, rinse & shake it with tank water. Reinstalled it. Still in major overflow mode.

What I did - I gutted the cartridge and built my own out of filter media & a little premium charcoal. I know the general consensus is to use the filter cartridge until they fall apart, but what about when they arent actually catching detritus anymore and its getting recirculated into the tank constantly?

I had the same problem. Wouldn't become clean enough to let the water flow through so I cut the middle out and replaced it with sponge.

Cheaper that way :D And I like that!

I have 2 power filters on my tank so as long as I never change both at once, Ill be fine. But I dont know if Im convinced yet to keep a cartridge until it starts to fall apart. When the filter starts to bypass, it really becomes inefficient. And that cant be a good thing.

Chriznat20 said:
Cheaper that way :D And I like that!

I have 2 power filters on my tank so as long as I never change both at once, Ill be fine. But I dont know if Im convinced yet to keep a cartridge until it starts to fall apart. When the filter starts to bypass, it really becomes inefficient. And that cant be a good thing.

Those cartridges are made to fail IMO so you have to keep buying them! I think I've only ever bought one and thought stuff this and made my own. :D

Those cartridges are made to fail IMO so you have to keep buying them! I think I've only ever bought one and thought stuff this and made my own. :D

Yeah Ive been doing my own for a year or so now. I was clogging up the filter cartridges every 2-3 weeks!! When I make my own, they last about 2 months. Plus the filter foam and charcoal is pretty cheap (~$5.50 for foam, and same for charcoal). I can probably make 6-7 filter cartridges with the foam and have enough charcoal for at least 15-20!

Im curious to see responses from other power filter users... do you really let your filter cartridge completely clog, to where you cannot rinse it anymore, and keep on using it? Are Mumma & Me the only ones that make their own cartridges? Ive been doing this for a while (Every month or 2) and never had a mini-cycle.

Chriznat20 said:
Im curious to see responses from other power filter users... do you really let your filter cartridge completely clog, to where you cannot rinse it anymore, and keep on using it? Are Mumma & Me the only ones that make their own cartridges? Ive been doing this for a while (Every month or 2) and never had a mini-cycle.

Just have to add I only rinse my DIY ones :) because I only have one filter.

Wait, to make them, do you guys use the frame of an actual cartridge? Also, shouldnt you not use carbon if you dose ferts or meds?

Is there any specific tutorial to make these filter cartridges? I am very curious and would love to save some money as well!

Great tutorial, you can even stuff these DIY filters with carbon, ammo chips? (I think that's what they're called), or peat to lower the pH. I wonder if you can do the same with aqua-tech cartridges.....

Thats a great tutorial for the Whisper filters, which are designed MUCH easier to make your own.

However, I have 2 Marineland filters. The cartridges are NOT designed for easy DIY. Heres my tutorial for making DIY filters out for the Marineland cartridges.

What I do: When the cartridge is all used up and plugged, where you can no longer flush it to get flow - take a pair of scissors and cut away the blue filter media. Do it over a garbage can and be CAREFUL - its slimy and slippery and it would be very easy to slip and stab yourself with scissors!! (dont ask me how i know this...lol).

Once you get the blue filter media off, it doesnt have to be perfect, dump out the used charcoal. Do NOT rinse the black plastic frame!!! Or if you do rinse it, use tank water, not tap water.

Get some of the bulk Marineland filter media, which looks like this:
30ngktf.jpg

Place the black plastic frame that you've prepared onto the new bulk media. Cut out a square - 1/4" larger on all sides than the black plastic frame. Take the square piece of media and with your finger - gently pry apart down the middle - One side of the new media is blue and the other is white. You want to seperate the two sides so you can insert the black frame, and charcoal later if you so choose. Then, gently insert the filter frame. If you messed up and there is an opening in the media, do not panic. You can either use a pin to close it back up or press it back together. Once the media is over the frame, add charcoal if you choose - I add about 2-3 tablespoons myself, personal preference. Insert it gently into the power filter. I use a binder clip on the top to keep the new media together, but you dont have to. I just like it to look neatly put together.

Voila! You just saved yourself some bucks AND the new filter you just made will NOT clog up immediately like the ones off the shelf. Added bonus: Next time you go to make a cartridge DIY, it will be 100% easier than the first time.

Good Luck!

I dont have the media, but i have quilt badding. Will that work? Are you saying we glue the media around the black frame?

I dont have the media, but i have quilt badding. Will that work? Are you saying we glue the media around the black frame?

I have no idea what quilt badding is but I'd only use the filter media that I showed in the pic, because thats what I have experience with.

Also, glue is not necessary. The media is one piece but you can split it open with your fingers. You are going to slide the frame in the slit you make with your fingers.

When you try this, it will all make sense ;) Dont read too much into it, its very very easy.

Chriznat20 said:
I have no idea what quilt badding is but I'd only use the filter media that I showed in the pic, because thats what I have experience with.

Also, glue is not necessary. The media is one piece but you can split it open with your fingers. You are going to slide the frame in the slit you make with your fingers.

When you try this, it will all make sense ;) Dont read too much into it, its very very easy.

Oh ya, i see. The video i put up uses quilt badding. It is the same stuff at the media you use, except in a larger bundle, so id have to cut it.

Oh ya, i see. The video i put up uses quilt badding. It is the same stuff at the media you use, except in a larger bundle, so id have to cut it.

Ahhhh... I hadnt watched the video because it doesnt apply to me (I guess the video shows a Whisper filter?)... I guess same concept but I'd imagine the filter media I posted would be more conducive to breeding bacteria in it because its more sponge-like than that batting, which to me, is like the stuffing you'd put inside a stuffed animal. I cant see bacteria having an easy time living on that stuff, IMO.

Chriznat20 said:
Ahhhh... I hadnt watched the video because it doesnt apply to me (I guess the video shows a Whisper filter?)... I guess same concept but I'd imagine the filter media I posted would be more conducive to breeding bacteria in it because its more sponge-like than that batting, which to me, is like the stuffing you'd put inside a stuffed animal. I cant see bacteria having an easy time living on that stuff, IMO.

Hmm i gottcha, well that is a bummer! Maybe ill still try and use it though

Also, GBoy66, FWIW I used to have 2 Whisper filters on the back of my old 55g, and I'd make my own cartridges then too. However, IIRC, Whisper sells the filter pads ala carte which makes it a lot cheaper. You could still use the bulk media that I posted a pic of, same difference except its blue instead of Whispers white stuff (which is not batting - its like white colored filter media but its not cotton or polyester based).

Chriznat20 said:
Also, GBoy66, FWIW I used to have 2 Whisper filters on the back of my old 55g, and I'd make my own cartridges then too. However, IIRC, Whisper sells the filter pads ala carte which makes it a lot cheaper. You could still use the bulk media that I posted a pic of, same difference except its blue instead of Whispers white stuff (which is not batting - its like white colored filter media but its not cotton or polyester based).

Oh, got it. I have a bio wheel 350

Back
Top Bottom