filter cartridges

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rollin_22

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have a hang on filter on my 55 and am planning on getting new cartridges tomorrow, my question is, could i take out the activated carbon out of the old one, and put something in it to use as a filter.... i mean the carbon is useless, but the surface of the filter is fine, and i just wanted to know if i could use it with a different media... anything that would be beneficial to my tank? thanks for the help.

i know that aqua clear has some kind of bio material that u might be able to put in there instead of carbon. i just bought the aquaclear 30 for my tank and it had the carbon pack and also something else... i wish i knew what it was. if u go to www.bigalsonline.com and search aquaclear it should have all the different replacement packages and u can choose somethnig form there. hth

ok, is there anyhting that would benefit me the most..... i just want to have really clear water, and good quality water...more so then i already do

Ceramic rings would be what I would add. I have never used an AquaClear so I am unsure of how they are built. But does it have baskets to add other media? If so, definitely use Ceramic Rings.

my filter doesnt have baskets, but that is what i am asking about, i could use my old filter pads, and kind of fashion my own diy media..... what are the benefits of ceramic media

Sure, you can do it. Alot of members do just that. Cut a slit at the top of the cartridge and pour out the carbon. Then just add in ceramic rings.

Rings provide more surface area for bacteria colonization than carbon.

okay... what else is there? i just want to have so clear of water that i dont even know that its there.... is there anyhting that will do this for me

if you wanted to go all out you could put the rings in the filter itsefl and in the bags put some ammonia remover chips, carbon, denitrate and phosphate remover, that should handle everything and keep you tank crystal clear I would think

i second the filter floss. this is what i put in my ACs(in order from bottom to top)AC sponge block, floss, ceramic rings. It works really well.

I wouldn't put anything in the filter except for carbon (to remove meds), sponges, filter floss, or ceramic rings. If you have problems with high Nitrates or Phosphates, do more water changes.

Back
Top Bottom