Filter Change Interval

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acewiza

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I finally got around to changing the filter media in the 190gal's Marineland C530 today, after 4 months and 20 days. The reason was I'm re-starting the 125gal goldfish tank because it's almost time to bring them in for the winter and get the pond shut down and put away for the season. A half teaspoon of pure ammonium chloride slowly added over the past few days along with some food got the ammonia to about 2ppm, so it was time to add a good dose of BB from the C530's old filter media and get it cycled.

The C530 was still flowing good, but did need changed. Water pressure was pushing up on the bottom section enough to make a bulge in the plastic separator screen. I used a different type of recycled polyfill in that bottom section this time. It seems a bit more dense, so I imagine it won't last that long next time around. The whole point is a filter maintenance schedule should be a moving target with alot of variables. Go ahead and do it every week or 2 or even just once a month if you like, but you're probably wasting time and money if you do. The best approach is to monitor flow and figure out what your particular setup needs. (y)

4 months on a filter change wow, you be brave . I could only envision a explosion ,

if I let mine go over a week the canister starts to bulge , but than again I run 2 pumps on it.

1 on the intake and 1 on the output I get a lot of water turn over , all I know if mine burst it would be like the atomic bomb lol , 1 week = tons of muck

Last edited:
if I let mine go over a week the canister starts to bulge , but than again I run 2 pumps on it.
It sounds like you're pushing water into a canister from external pumps. This is not an issue for typical canister filters with magnetic-driven impeller pump heads. The worst that can happen is they keep pulling up on the media until it completely clogs. Then nothing happens, i.e., little or no water flows. It's easy to monitor regardless of flow rate on my Hydors because the canisters themselves are semi-transparent. You can see the media starting to rise after they begin to load up.

I used to clean my HOB once a week, and the canister once a month. But then, I run both on both my 25 and 55gal.

Now I've just extended to once a month cleaning on both filters...

The canister in the gold fish tank catches a lot more than in the tetra tank.

Back
Top Bottom