Filter changing tips on "new" tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

youronlysin

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The filter cartridge in my Whisper Power Filter 5-15 needs replaced. The tank is still going through its cycle process with Nitrites at fairly high levels. The filter has been cleaned in tank water several times, but it is getting to the point where it only flows decent fora day or two after cleaning. Any tips on how to replace it without messing up the cycle process too badly? Heres where I wish I had a bio-wheel!!! :roll:

while it may not look pretty, just throw the old filter in the tank. I was always advised to rub the new filter against the old one(not sure if this works or not though). But I have an old filter sitting in my 55 gallon looking all ugly and gross but I know it has a thriving bacterial colony on it.

This is the main reason I like running multiple filters on my tanks. I like a little over filtration because most of my tanks are overstocked also. I run two hang on back filters on my tanks so and alternately clean each filter. That one can maintain the bio-load while the other catches up. Once your tank is established I wouldn’t worry too much about it. There will be enough bacteria in the tank to set up the filter very quickly.

As for your current situation, change the media and keep an eye on you ammonia and nitrite levels. It’s going to take a little longer to cycle, but that’s just part of the game. I couldn’t get my 29 gallon to finish cycling until I stopped playing with it and just let it do it’s thing.

Put in a new filter pad, and just wedge the old pad behind it for a week or two. When you put in the new pad, make sure there isn't any carbon in it, or else it'll screw up your cycle.

-J

Have you thought about adding a bio-ball? It keeps some bacteria, not alot, but enough that it keeps any problems from arising when I change my media. Just my $0.02.

I could try a bio ball I suppose. I havent heard about the carbon issue before. I emtied the carbon from the new filter and just let the old onle sink to the bottom of the tank behind a big plant. I couldnt really stuff it in the filter behind the old one as it blocks flow too much.

Silly filter came with one "bio bag", so they call them, and it also came with an "aerobic frame" that has a cellular mesh type of material on it. Looks like that would hold some bacteria and I could keep that in place when I do the bag changes, but I dont really know what its for. The instruction booklet doesnt even mention it. It shows an aerobic frame, but what they show is the plastic frame that goes inside the bio bags, which are filled with carbon. The frames in the bags from the store dont have the cellular mesh. Is that just an optional piece that I can use instead of carbon inside the bags? Only problem with that is, it doesnt have the plastic flaps that close over the top of the bag to hold it in place. I think Ill just wedge it in front of the bag and leave the mesh frame in place when I change the bags. Hopefully that will keep things working once the tank is cycled.

Got my own question answered by Tetra tech support personally. The bio bag goes in the filter body first in the slots provided and the foam mesh goes in next between the bag and filter outlet. The foam mesh stays put constantly and gets rinsed in tank water ocassionally and the bag gets changed regularly. I will also look into the suggestions provided by members here.....the bio ball idea sounds like it may help duringtank cycling. Thanks all.

How about taking the old filter envelope, rolling, or cutting it up with scissors taking some of the old carbon and putting it in with the carbon in the new filter?

Back
Top Bottom