Filter choice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big C

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, I'm looking for advise on filters. I have a 30 g tank with a penguin 170 bio wheel. It was working really well for months but in the last few days I've been having lots of problems. A few people suggested that the bio wheel may not be the best and to install another filter and let them run together. I've been doing some reading, but there are so many filters that I'm not sure whats good, bad, or so and so. Canister, HOB, RO ???????

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

:?

if you got some dough laying around get an eheim 2026

next i would go fluval 204/304

then HOB.. AquaClear I hear is good

Aquaclear 300 series (they've renamed it to an aquaclear 70 I think). Includes ceramic bio rings, filter box is totally customizable. But joedarat is right, if you've got the cash, go with an eheim or fluval. If not, the aquaclear would be a good HOB filter.

HTH
-Stewie

Just look at my sig and the answer is clear! For the price and for the reliability, the AquaClear is a fine choice.

The rings NEVER have to be removed. The other media (you can put just about any media you want including peat) is easy to maintain.

Just for kicks...take a look at the Products Review Page (a link is included in my sig...and see what other members have to say about filters).

joedarat said:
if you got some dough laying around get an eheim 2026

next i would go fluval 204/304

then HOB.. AquaClear I hear is good

The 2026 may be to big for a 30-gallon tank. I have one in my planted 40 tall and the current was way to strong. I had to double the size of the holes on the spray-bar and add an additional hole in the spray-bar end cap. I've got it now to where the plants just sway in the current.

A smaller Ehiem might work nicely with a HOB filter.

hrm if you want a HOB id say go with an aquaclear... I'm really starting to like mine more than the emperor... it seems to run more efficiently

just my $.02

I woudl defiently get an Emporer HOB, exceeltn filter, it has bio wheels, you can add custom media to it too. They are the best filters. I highly reccomend them.

JMHO

If you have a planted aquarium,a cannister is the best choice.You can purchase a Jebo 825 for $45.00 at the superfishstore.com or aquatraders.com. This filter is an Eheim clone and performs equally as well but selling at a fraction of the cost. I use the 828 on a 30 gallon and very satisfied.The 825 is sufficient for a 30 gallon,rated for tanks up to 100 gallons.Another excellent cannister is the Rena filstar.I also used the penguin 170 on a 30 gallon. It was not able to keep my tank clean.It is a poor design.If you don't have a planted tank,the Aquaclear is an excellent choice.

A fluval 104 would do for a 30 gal, unless you have schools of messy fish.
My 104 is on my 75gal with a internal powerfilter. It does a great job. Never any complaints and easy to use.

Whatever your choice, I can say I have an Aquaclear 300 running for probably 10 years... still working fine. Never had any problems.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom