Filter choices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CarpetCowboy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay, my first post
I've had a 30gal tank for bout 5 years. I just got a 120gal. I have a Whisper 30-60 filter that hangs on the back. Girl friend don't like seeing it.
She wants a Under gravel filter :? one that cost alot of money :eek2: Anyone have sugestions on the pro's and con's of each?

First of all, Welcome to AA! :D It's great to see new members here.

On to the questions. Under gravel filters are not really used anymore. They are Nitrate havens and can cause problems in the long run. For a 120 gal tank, I would strongly recommend 2 canister filters, one on each side of the tank. I personally love the Cascade line of Canisters. You should do great with 2 1000 models. They are great quality filters. Here's a link:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=22583;category_id=1711;pcid1=2885;pcid2=

Try to get the UGF out of her head. :D Even though it may be difficult to convince, they are not really used anymore.

Thanks for the welcome and the info. I think she wants the canister types that go under the tank. she just dont like seein the stuff hanging on the back. I just want to get the tank going :lol: And stepping up to a tank this size is a bit scarry 8O and its hard for me to locate info on the larger tank sizes :D

you can find large canister filters at pretty much any petstore....but you better make sure since your girlfriend has say on what it looks like she better be helping cough up the money for the expensive stuff :D , but once you get that tank going your going to find out how easy it is and allll the selections and things you could put in it....have fun and welcome to the wonderful world of Aquarium Advice!!!!!

The filtration unit is usually the most expensive piece of equipment for a tank. For a tank that large, you're looking at $150 to $200 for filtration. The larger tanks should really have two filters so the water is equally filtered.

Put a backing on the tank to cover up any tubes and wires. That way you don't see any of the filter stuff. It will take longer to cycle the 120 gal tank. But it is easier to maintain water quality. That's whats so great about these large tanks. When my fiance brought home the 150 gal tank, it was quite intimidating. Considering our largest tank was 55 gal. But they really are easier to maintain and keep clean.

I'd run two Rena Filstar XP3's on this tank. I love canisters and even my 37gal has them, just so I don't have to look at the HOB, and I prefer them for power and water movement.

Thank You all very much :D I like the DIY show 8) I'll run that by her and see if she likes it. I bought the tank at a flea market and I built the stand myself :roll: but if that don't work I will show her the XP3's. I just got back from lookin at those. Thats the way I was leanin befor I seen that DIY. That was really cool. Thanks again all

I am using an Ehiem can filter. Lots of people really like them, they are high quality, but a little more expensive. For your tank 2 would be needed.

Good luck with that tank. Enjoy. :)

CarpetCowboy said:
I think she wants the canister types that go under the tank.
I think you may be talking about a sump filter. If that's what it is, those are usually used for saltwater but some people do use them for FW.

CarpetCowboy said:
Thank You all very much :D I like the DIY show 8) I'll run that by her and see if she likes it. I bought the tank at a flea market and I built the stand myself :roll: but if that don't work I will show her the XP3's. I just got back from lookin at those. Thats the way I was leanin befor I seen that DIY. That was really cool. Thanks again all

sounds like you might just be a DIYer! If it wasnt for me having old canisters sitting around I would be building one myself! Your welcome! Good Luck!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom