Filter choices for my 55 gal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fresh808

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently picked up a 55 gal to move my convicts to. I am leaning towards a sand base with rocks and driftwood/African root deco, but I am lost about filters.
My friend at the local Petco recommends the Rena line so I did some looking around and like what the newest model is capable of.
It's the XP4. Says it's good for tanks up to 265 gal, but I only have a 55. I believe the I may upgrade to a 75, but no bigger.
Is the XP4 too much filter for the 55 considering there are two breeding pairs so will the frye be safe and survive the current?
I want to make sure the aquarium stays as clean as possible.
If that's not a wise choice, please help me out with some suggestions and why.
Thanks & Aloha,
Scott

I would recommend using an eheim rated for a 100gal. that way if you decide to upgrade to the 75 you can. Also it is impossible to over filter; the number of bacteria in the filter will only increase to as much waste there is available for them to break down. I think the main problem will be with a large current due to high high pump rate in the xp4, so in a tank considerably smaller than what the pump is rated for, the sand will be blowing around and eventually end up in your filter.
I have an eheim professional and it is brilliant. I also have an fx5 but that doesn't come close and is very powerhungry.

Fluvals have a valve on them to throttle down the flow, not sure about eheims. I have two 405s on my 70. I don't notice there being a current much past the output. My SW tank has the overflow, return, fluval and 3 powerheads and it is still not enough. I think you would be OK. If you are still worried you can put the out and in on the same side, then the opposite would be calmer. Fry are going to have problems no matter what the filter.

Filter

as much as I'd like to take the advice of my petco friend about the RENA line, the reviews are horrible.
I am going to get new filters for the 30 & 55 freshwater tanks and want to make sure I get the best filtration I can for them. So if anyone else wants to add their .02 before I make a decision, I'd appreciate it!!
:cool:
I need to order them by tonight/or early am tomorrow.
Also need a T-5 48" light and am looking at the 4x54w each w/lunar moonlight LED's by coralife:
Amazon.com: Coralife Lunar Aqualight T5 Aquarium Lighting Fixture, 4X54W, 48": Kitchen & Dining
I'll make a new post for that...

75 gallon Canister Filter...

Since I have moved up to a 75 from the 55 that needs repairs, I have been challenged with choosing the right canister filter for that tank.
I am leaning way over towards the EHEIM line, but wanted to see if I could get some feedback and recommendations for the 75 gal.
Price isn't an issue at the moment. I want to know my best option and welcome all suggestions so I can make the right choice.
I have built a sherman tank of a stand with cabinet doors and space underneath for anything up to 20" tall, but would like to keep it under 17-18 inches.
I notice some Eheims have the inlet and outlet separated. One on top and one at the bottom of the canister and then I see some models with the in/out both on top.
Enlighten me as to why that is and what's the best one for my freshwater set-up.
Aloha and Mahalo!!!

Filter Question.

I just bought a 55 gal. complete setup from walmart and added a Marineland Mag. 350 canister.
Should or, can I run the filter the tank came with, while also using the micron water polisher from the canister unit at the same time?

I'm currenltyl running a fluval 305 on my 55. If I had known this obsession would take over i would have gotten the fx5 which I think is for tanks over 400 gallons. lol

But all in all I love my fluval. Self primes, not messy to clean. But that's just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom