Filter cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RubisMoon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was told to clean the filter at least every month and i am scheduled next week. I remember and know how to take out the motor and clean the fan thigny (sorry english second language, forget words �� ) and i know i have to clean all the medias but i suddenly have doubts on that last part. I know u clean them in your old water and that u cannot change them at the same time because of the bio life but how about cleaning them at the same time, is that bad? Or do i clean each of them at a week difference with my water change? And at the same time as i change the peat in my filter, is that ok?
So yeah i think that's it, for now :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Aquaclear powerfilter, the ones on the outside of the tank with sponge and biomax + carbon but I put peat. I'm not sure of the proper term but here's a pic of my exact filter :)

Attachments

• image-2478309438.jpg
    image-2478309438.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 44
The biomax contains most of the BB (beneficial bacteria). You can clean everything in tank water at the same time , that doesn't hurt anything. Stagger changing your filter pads or floss (only when they fall apart) and your carbon & peat. The biomax never needs to be changed.

The biomax contains most of the BB (beneficial bacteria). You can clean everything in tank water at the same time , that doesn't hurt anything. Stagger changing your filter pads or floss (only when they fall apart) and your carbon & peat. The biomax never needs to be changed.
+1. If your just using the Carbon for water clarity, you should consider using Seachem Purigen. In the long term, it will work out a lot cheaper than Carbon. I only use Carbon for Meds removal or bad odours...

Ok thanks, And do you guys know if i use a sponge that goes in the filter to put on the water intake, would it be bad for the fish? Because i've been trying to find one that is made for that and couldn't find one in the store. The remains of my assassin snail's lunches keep getting caught in the intake :p
Plus I heard that using a sponge on the intake helps keeping some of the good bacteria in the tank and my shrimp might enjoy feeding from it.

Ok thanks, And do you guys know if i use a sponge that goes in the filter to put on the water intake, would it be bad for the fish? Because i've been trying to find one that is made for that and couldn't find one in the store. The remains of my assassin snail's lunches keep getting caught in the intake :p
Plus I heard that using a sponge on the intake helps keeping some of the good bacteria in the tank and my shrimp might enjoy feeding from it.
Do you mean, something like this??

Attachments

• foam-pre-filter-replacement.jpg
    foam-pre-filter-replacement.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 2010_01210137.jpg
    2010_01210137.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 81
Well i was told at the pet store to use both peat ( to lower ph) and carbon ( for clarity) and i tried it but found it useless to have the carbon because it did not help at all clarity wise and saw that I didn't mind the look it gave my tank. + fish like it. I also read that the carbon was good to remove medication so eventually ( lets hope not) i guess i will have to go buy some but till then it's peat for me. I just hope to find a place where peat is cheeper o_o

Yes like that
They can be purchased online very cheaply. They are called pre-filter sponges..
Have a look for Purigen, also online. It is an excellent product for clearing your water and it can also be re-charged, so can be used again and again....

Back
Top Bottom