Filter cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mickrabb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,

I have just purchased an aqua one 980T tank with a top filter (I think it's an aqua style filter). It has three separated compartments on the top of the tank.

I just curious with the cleaning, I have been told to clean the wool every two weeks and the media (washed with awuarium water) every 4 weeks. Does this sound correct?

When I clean the wool do I just put in new wool every two weeks?

And lastly, not sure who else has a similar filter, but how often and how do I clean the strainer, intake pipes and impeller caps? Is that necessary?

Thanks

Most give the filter media a cleaning with the weekly water change. Clean the pipes and intake when they get dirty. They can build up a lot of algae and bio film. Clean the whole filter and impeller housing once a month or when the water flow slows down. Do not change any filter media until it is falling apart. Have you cycled the tank?

The tank is not a new tank. I actually purchased it from my neighbor. We moved the tank with about 30 per cent of the water in It and we placed the another 50 percent in buckets which we were able to readd to the tank. The filter was only turned off for about 40 minutes. Would this still need to be cycled? I'm a newbie so I apologise if this is a dumb question. My neighbour said it's due to be cleaned bit give it an extra week which i have done. There was fish already in the tank and they all appear happy and I have added a few more over the week.

Thanks for the other info about the filter.

I was also going to ask about the water change. I purchased some seachem prime water conditioner. When I clean the sand and so a partial water change, would I just add this to a bucket of tap water and then re add it to the tank?

The tank is not a new tank. I actually purchased it from my neighbor. We moved the tank with about 30 per cent of the water in It and we placed the another 50 percent in buckets which we were able to readd to the tank. The filter was only turned off for about 40 minutes. Would this still need to be cycled? I'm a newbie so I apologise if this is a dumb question. My neighbour said it's due to be cleaned bit give it an extra week which i have done. There was fish already in the tank and they all appear happy and I have added a few more over the week.

Thanks for the other info about the filter.

I was also going to ask about the water change. I purchased some seachem prime water conditioner. When I clean the sand and so a partial water change, would I just add this to a bucket of tap water and then re add it to the tank?
Your filter will be fine. I recommend getting a liquid test kit(API), if you don't already have one. The strips are not very accurate. The filter cleaning really varies but you got some good advice from previous poster. Every tank is different, you'll soon learn how long between each cleans. Make sure to only use tank water when cleaning the media/filter.
The Prime, yes just add to the bucket. A tip, place a bowl(clean) in the tank and pour you water onto/into this. It will stop the sand getting churned up and clouding. You can also pour the water in faster this way. Remember too, if you are planning new fish, stock slowly. Adding too many too soon will lead to problems.....Good luck with your new tank(y)

Sorry guys I just had one more question. When I'm cleaning the filter media (I'm referring to the wool), do I clean it with awuarium water or tap water? I know that when cleaning the actual ceramic noodles under the wool I use aquarium water but I wasn't sure about the wool?

Most suggest using old tank water but I use clean water that has been treated with Seachem Prime water conditioner. As long as the water has been treated to remove chlorine it is okay to use for cleaning. If you are using the loose filter floss just change it when it gets really dirty. I have not tried to clean that type of filter media yet. I did notice a change in ammonia level when I did the first cleaning of my new small canister filter. I had a small ammonia spike even though I didn't take out any bio rings. I switched to a sponge after that and just clean it. All other filter pads can be given a good beating in a bucket of treated water. I sometimes take out my bio rings in the HOB and give them a swish or two in treated water. My tank builds up a lot of gunk. For water changes, I just add the Prime to the buckets of water and then slowly pour it into the tank with a small bucket. I actually bought a children's sand pail to scoop water out. I do up to a 50% water change each week because I use dry fertilizers and have a lot of molly fry in the tank right now.

Be sure to add new stock slowly, a few at a time, so the bacteria can grow to take on the new ammonia load.

I thought I would add that when you get another tank, as we all end up doing, You can pour the cleaning water into the new filter and cycle it in record time.

Back
Top Bottom