Filter Cleaning Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SharkAttack

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys im a new aquarium owner. i have a 30 gallon aqueon plus a quiet flow 30 filter that takes size large pads.

SHould i replace the pad or just clean it?

if i clean it then how do i go about it?

Squeeze it out well in the water you change OUT of your tank. If you are NOT on *town/city* water with all it's chemical additives you can also squeeze it out in your tap water but people on wells are very few these days

Squeeze it out well in the water you change OUT of your tank. If you are NOT on *town/city* water with all it's chemical additives you can also squeeze it out in your tap water but people on wells are very few these days

I got it! how long would you keep the same filter insert inside the filter? its been there a month or two and is brown/black now.

Needs cleaning but you can keep it till it fall apart. I keep them until they fall apart then make my own with sponges floss and bio media

Your Aqueon Filter

Hi guys im a new aquarium owner. i have a 30 gallon aqueon plus a quiet flow 30 filter that takes size large pads.

SHould i replace the pad or just clean it?

if i clean it then how do i go about it?

Hello Shark...

I don't keep the same filter media for more than two weeks. I like to clean the filter and replace the filter material every other water change. The filter just works better if it's clean. I don't believe the filter media does a good job for longer than that. If you're a good water changer and remove and replace most of the tank water weekly, the filter media can last a bit longer than two weeks, but I'd clean the filter and replace the media roughly every two weeks.

B

BBradbury
I use HOBs exclusively in my tanks with the media layered - lava rock, sponge, floss. While I replace my floss when it starts to look *dirty* and clean the *gunk* off/out of the lava rock and filter boxs when they look *dirty*, my sponges I only *squeeze clean* til they look ready to fall apart then I replace them. Would replacing everything that often not not cause cycling issues?

Hey guys i took my filter out and this is what it looks like, im assuming this is acceptable to keep?
58378489_10219700418648769_5268131538662326272_n.jpg

Filter Cleaning

BBradbury
I use HOBs exclusively in my tanks with the media layered - lava rock, sponge, floss. While I replace my floss when it starts to look *dirty* and clean the *gunk* off/out of the lava rock and filter boxs when they look *dirty*, my sponges I only *squeeze clean* til they look ready to fall apart then I replace them. Would replacing everything that often not not cause cycling issues?

Hello...

I use HOBs on some of my tanks too. I use a layer of lava rocks and top the rock with the biomax to control any ammonia. I stopped using the chemical media (carbon) years ago, because I do such large weekly water changes, the carbon isn't needed. I use the dual sponges too and just squeeze them out every couple of weeks. If you're an aggressive water changer, the filter system will last a bit longer, because the lava rock doesn't get very dirty if the filter is just filtering water that's already pretty clean. I used to use the internal Whisper filters, but found the filter media didn't last more than a couple of weeks before it began to wear out.

B

Back
Top Bottom