Filter cleaning and general tank maintenance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mickrabb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys,

I have been in this forum for only a few few weeks now but I have learnt so much. Thanks to everyone in advance. My question today relates to cleaning schedules:

I have a 63 gallon tank and I'm trying to come up with a cleaning schedule.

I have been told that everyone two weeks....replace the wool (mechanical filtration), wash the carbon cartridge with aquarium water and clean the gravel with also serves as your water change (20
percent). I add prime to my tank (dosed on the total tank volume) and then start adding my new water to the tank.

Once a month I do the above again however I also clean the pipes frontier filter and wash the filter media with awuarium water. Should I be washing al the ceramic noodles each time or just a compartment a month (I have three compartments of noodles)???

Also how long do carbon cartridges last for?
How log do ceramic noodles last for?

Could I get some feedback on the above and any extra tips??

Apologies for all the questions

Mick

Sorry when I mention carbon cartridges I mean to say black sponges....sorry

The carbon cartridges I use are just wool

So how long do the black sponges last for

What is your filter type? What is your stocking? 20% every 2 weeks isn't going to be enough what ever you have. Do 50% a week unless your nitrates rise too fast because of stocking and require more. Your fish will love it. Don't need to clean your filters that often. No need to disturb your beneficial bacteria colony so much. Only change the wool that often when it's dirty enough that it needs it. Throw away the carbon it's a waste of space in your filter and put in biomax( ceramic noodles). Never replace the bio media. And when you do rinse it, be gentle with it. It's your aquariums life blood. Only replace the sponge/s when they are falling apart.

The filter sits on top of the tank. Yeah I have 1 fish in there, so 50 percent water change each week is better then.?

How long do the black sponges, that sit between the wool and the vermis noodles last? And when I replace can I replace them all at once ( I have three compartments all with noodles, back sponge and wool)

Ok,so through away black sponges between noodles and wool?

Sweekly water changes of 50 percent.

Fortnightly, just check wool and only change if dirty. Clean glass,gravel and do water change.

Is monthly washing of ceramic noodles too much? What's a better time frame?

Can I clean the filter pipes with normal water? Is cleaning the pipes also too much to do monthly?

Any help of this would be great

If the black things are sponges and not carbon then keep them. Never replace them until they are falling apart. Which will take years and years. Don't clean you bio noodles every month. Let them go months without cleaning. Put a sponge over your intake inside the tank and clean this one every water change. It will help keep your filter nice and clean.

Ok great last few questions

How often should I clean the black sponge? Every few months when I clean the noodles?

When cleaning the pipes for my filter and the strainer etc how often should I clean that? Also every few months?

And lastly when cleaning the pipes, strainer eye with aquarium water or tap water ?

Apart from that is all my other schedules for cleaning look ok?

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated

Cleaning the noodles can be done as often as you like. Rinsing them off won't disturb the bacteria. How often it needs to be done depends on how dirty it gets.

Back
Top Bottom