Filter Decision Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Gopher

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Currently debating between getting the Marineland Penguin Bio-wheel set for 30 gal. max....or going with the model that filters up to 50 gal.

I currently have a 30 gal. tank. I'd like to go with the 50 gal. model (more filtration), but am wondering if this would create too much turbulance in my tank causing my fish to be stressed?

I already have a working filter on my tank (with fish), but the filter is crap and I've been reading some good things about the bio-wheel. I'd rather replace my old filter with a better filter, and keep the old one for backup just in case.

Any advice would be appreciated!

I have a Marineland Magnum 350 Pro canister setup with 2 bio wheels on a 40 gallon tank (filter's rated for 60), and it doesn't create a lot of turbulence in the tank at all... I think their filters are rated kind of high, and I'd always go for the next model up to what they recommend... Of course I do that with any filters anyway... I'm of the belief that bigger is always better when it comes to filters.

thanks so much for the quick reply! I think I'll go with the 50 gal. model. I'd much rather there be more filtration.

I just got the Aquaclear 70 for my 29 gal and it seems to be just fine... not too much turbulence at all. Different filter but same concept... also some filters (including the aquaclear but not sure about the pengiun) can be adjusted to lower flow rates.

good deal :) decided to go with the larger filter. It is adjustable. Actually decided to go with the Emperor series (same maker) since it was on sale.

When purchasing filters do not go by the tank size that is recommended. Instead, use the flow rate to determine which filter to purchase. Ie: Right now I am running a Cascade 1000 on my 55 gal tank. It is recommended for tanks up to 100 gal. But the recommendation is based on their perception of what the correct flow rate should be per gal. For hob's, anywhere between 5 and 10x turnover rate per hour is good. For canisters, anywhere between 3 and 5x turnover rate per hour is good. Mainly because of the effeciency of the canisters over the hobs. And, depending on which fish you keep, you may need a higher turnover rate.

Back
Top Bottom