Filter Floss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Link119

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i have an Aqueon 10 quietflow filter and i modded the filter media. At first i used some quilt batting that i loosened up and it was still restrictive to the flow even after cleaning. Then i decided to fit in some foam sponges inbetween the bio holster and an empty filter cartridge plastic. The new sponges have yet to clog up, so do i need to have filter floss or is using a sponge (looks similar to aquaclear sponge media) safe.

You don't need floss at all if you don't want it. Sponge will do the same job just might not catch as small particles as the floss. Try and avoid changing out filter media. When doing that you are tossing your bacteria out.

I squeezed the filter floss every time i changed it and i gave the used cloth a nice splash in the used water... Im way ahead of you! At least i left enough bb so that a quick minicycle could occur. Also, i dont clean my filter other than a quick rinse of the mechanical media. What is that white slime all over the inside of the filter?

Link119 said:
I squeezed the filter floss every time i changed it and i gave the used cloth a nice splash in the used water... Im way ahead of you! At least i left enough bb so that a quick minicycle could occur. Also, i dont clean my filter other than a quick rinse of the mechanical media. What is that white slime all over the inside of the filter?

Biofilm most likely. :)

What is biofilm in this case? The BB? Its white.

Well, i dont have any oil-looking substance in my tank and the bubbles from my air stone only take a sec to pop after they reach the surface.

Ok, i read that algae could live on it, so its good in some cases...

Thanks a lot!
Im not what you call... experienced.

Back
Top Bottom