Filter flow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cginflorida

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've got a Penguin Bio-Wheel 125 HOB filter on my 10 gal FW tank. It puts out a pretty good current, and I'm not sure if it's too much for my betta. They prefer quieter water, don't they? He's my first betta and I've only had him a week, so I'm not sure how to tell if he's happy or not. I know when I put the food in, it zips along the surface pretty fast. And when the betta is swimming against the current, it looks like he has to make an effort.

Should I get a smaller filter, possibly the Penguin Bio-Wheel Mini, or is there a way somehow to slow down the current on this filter?

While this is a filter question I think it might get better advice in the FW general forum. Not sure how many Betta owners read the equipment forum on a regular basis.

Moving to FW Gen Discussion for you.

yeah i think itll be fine. i have a penguin 125 in my 10 gallon. i dont think it makes 2 much current because mine only moves that side. but also my filters kinda messed up because i dont think i siphon enough so theres always gunk that goes through the filter pad and slows down the current tremendously. if ur still worried i think you can put like that celled foam stuff or watever over ur intake.

not to put u off or anything but i think im cursed. ive never had a labby fish live longer then a month in my tanks. it may be the breeders though.

I think it's going to be okay, too. He was pretty active this afternoon and I got to watch him for a long time. I think he's actually playing in the current, he doesn't look stressed at all. He kind of swims toward the side of the tank the filter's on (and he's at midlevel) and then just floats without moving his fins and lets the current carry him to the far side of the tank. He's body surfing!

And when he's at other places in the tank, he doesn't have any trouble staying in one spot. It's just at the very front of the tank that it's the strongest.

I'm sorry you've had such bad luck with your labby's, krap. :(

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the 125 can be adjusted for flow, by lifting the intake tube up a "notch," which slows the flow a bit. Try it like that and see if you see a difference. I have a 125 on my 10-gal and it seems to be just right, but it does not have a betta in it, so it is a good question.

TankGirl, I just checked the manual, and it says only the Mini and 330 models have adjustable flow for feeding times, not the 125. Figures.

But that's okay, I'm not worried anymore. Warren Betta seems happy and I think I was just being a neurotic mom. Now I think he's actually enjoying playing in the current. There are plenty of quiet spots for him to rest.

:D

considering most betta's live in a bowl with no current he's probably in high cotton!!!, maybe arrange ornaments to provide an Eddie or area of low current if he gets tired he could retreat there!?

glasstapper, he does have plenty of rest areas where it's quiet. And I just found another thread about bettas and water currents where a lot of people said their bettas have fun playing in it. So yeah, he's got a play area and plenty of quiet areas for rest when he needs it.

:p

Back
Top Bottom