Filter Flow Decreased

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jocelynmeyer

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi there,

I run a pretty standard HOB filter on my 47 gallon tank. Yesterday I noticed the flow coming out of the filter was greatly reduced from normal. Thinking that perhaps it got adjusted somehow, I went to increase it. Well that didn’t work.

The flow, at its seemingly highest setting, is now a trickle out of the filter. It used to be a steady flow with lots of movement.

I’ve attached a photo for you to see, since it won’t allow me to upload a video.

My question is what could be wrong? I took the filter off, checked the components and other than a small amount of buildup, nothing appears to be wrong. No matter what I do, this is now the max output I can seem to get. Adjustments.jpg

Did you clean it out when you had it apart? Sometimes that's all it needs. It also could just be dying and will have to be replaced.

Did you clean it out when you had it apart? Sometimes that's all it needs. It also could just be dying and will have to be replaced.

Yup, I cleaned it out. There wasn’t much, but the build up that was there I removed.

I guess I should start considering buying a replacement in the event that it does stop working.

If you have a flat sided container that will hold a gallon or so of water I would take all the media out of it and run it on the side of said container with dechlorinated water and see what the flow is . Make sure you clean the uplift tube with a brush and make sure water runs through it freely . If it runs better with no media then just put media in one at a time till it slows again and there's the culprit .

If you have a flat sided container that will hold a gallon or so of water I would take all the media out of it and run it on the side of said container with dechlorinated water and see what the flow is . Make sure you clean the uplift tube with a brush and make sure water runs through it freely . If it runs better with no media then just put media in one at a time till it slows again and there's the culprit .

I think I do have something that should work. So I’ll test this tomorrow.

I didn’t think of removing the media because it’s always been there so why would it suddenly change? Just due to media getting filled with various bacteria?

I got it! The prefilter sponge was clogged. I just rinsed this when I did a PWC on Sunday, but it was the culprit as everything runs fine now.

I think it may be too dense of a sponge if it gets clogged so quickly. So I’ll revisit that and figure it out.

Thanks for the help everyone!

I got it! The prefilter sponge was clogged. I just rinsed this when I did a PWC on Sunday, but it was the culprit as everything runs fine now.

I think it may be too dense of a sponge if it gets clogged so quickly. So I’ll revisit that and figure it out.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Good and yes the media gets clogged with gunk and junk....lol You can really clean the prefilter sponge under the facucet so it gets really clear and the lost bacteria won't kill the cycle . As for the internal media just wash in tank water when you do water change and it will keep enough bacteria to keep cycle going .

Good and yes the media gets clogged with gunk and junk....lol You can really clean the prefilter sponge under the facucet so it gets really clear and the lost bacteria won't kill the cycle . As for the internal media just wash in tank water when you do water change and it will keep enough bacteria to keep cycle going .

I had been cleaning the prefilter sponge regularly with water changes in the sink, but for whatever reason it got really clogged up this week! I guess I know to stay on top of it now. Thanks for the tips!

Back
Top Bottom