Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-10-2004, 09:20 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Filter flow enough?

Nobody answered this yesterday, so I'll try rewording the question.

I want to reduce the current in my 10 gal to make my betta happier, but I have 4 otos in there. The filter is an AquaClear 20 which pumps 100 gph max, and 33 gph min. I also have an airstone going.

If I shut off the airstone and keep the filter flow control at minimum, would that be enough filtration and surface agitation for the otos? Or should I just turn off the airstone and keep the filter at max flow?

TIA

And God said, "Let the waters swarm with fish and other life..." So God created great sea creatures and every sort of fish... And God saw that it was good. Then God blessed them, saying, "Let the fish multiply and fill the oceans..." Genesis 1:20-22
cginflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 09:56 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
hmm id take out the airstone or put it on the same side as the filter. then put it to like 60-80 gph so then the betta will have some room on the other side. i got like a 5 inch ait stone in there and its on the same side as my filter. i got a penguin 125. my betta doesnt care much i dont think. just swims around the tank flaring without the gills every time he stops.

Old 09-10-2004, 03:12 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

I think you could lower the flow and run the air stone, or lower the flow and not run the air stone, even. Try it out and see if there seems to be adequate water movement. It may be that you will be doing more frequent water changes this way.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 03:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

What kind of fish do you have in the tank? Most fish can handle a 10 X turnover rate the AC Mini/20 would give you on full. The airstone does not do much for moving water and should not be needed with the AC Mini/20 on full. With the AC Mini/20 on the lowest setting, you could run into oxygen issues.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 06:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

If you could rearrange the tank (by moving decorations or plants) so that one side of the tank was largely protected form the current (not isolating that side, but with enough obstructions the current could be slowed a lot), that might give your betta enough of a sanctuary to be happy. If your air stone creates a lot of current than having it on the side with the filter might be good, but if it's only a small current from the stone you could leave it on the opposite side from the filter to help maintin a smaller water current.
Old 09-11-2004, 09:45 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm leaving the filter on at full flow (100 gph for a 10 gal), and turned the airstone off. One side of the tank is now very calm. The betta does seem a lot happier, and thanks to everybody's answers I'm sure there's enough oxygen for the otos.

Thanks, all.

And God said, "Let the waters swarm with fish and other life..." So God created great sea creatures and every sort of fish... And God saw that it was good. Then God blessed them, saying, "Let the fish multiply and fill the oceans..." Genesis 1:20-22
cginflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 01:24 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to deeni0z
I heard it's bad to put the airstone right near the filter intake. It makes sense because then the filter just takes in air and now water.

And the stars look very different today
deeni0z is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter, flow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com