Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-02-2008, 12:35 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm having some second thoughts about this filter. It seems like it needs a lot of maintenance and a couple of reviewers on the Petco site said they broke fairly quickly. Do you have any experience with the Eheim Aquaball internal filter?

Old 03-02-2008, 05:03 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to rkilling1
IMO, I would just skip putting a filter on the tank all together. Your bioload is not very high and you have plants. A simple power head pointed to the surface to help O2 exchange and move the water around the tank is all that is needed.

This helps keep the amount of equipment in the tank to a minimum.

There are many beautiful nano type tanks that don't have any additional filtration (besides plants).

The Azoo palm filter or the Rapid mini cannister are also another option if you want a type of powered filtration.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:16 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

I did look at the Eheim Aquaball (just online) but I didn't like the reviews I read about it and I really didn't like the looks of it. It's up to you which filter you get, of course, but I can say again how pleased I am with the Duetto. It has no maintenance issues that I can see. The only somewhat bad thing I can say about it is that one of them became very hard to to open. The others were fine. I had, at one point, three of these filters. I called Marineland and they sent me a new one for free, with no shipping charge either.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:51 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank you very much for your advice. I went ahead and bought the Duetto 50 and am going to set it up now. I also bought a bag of floss and will swap out a little each week. It's good to know Marineland stands behind their products.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:14 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

It's installed! I set the outflow to mid-way. Already my betta seems more willing to swim in that part of the tank. The motor hum is kinda noisy compared to the Tetra. I hope it gets quietier. How can you tell if it's working? I can't see anything, although admittedly it's under an anubia leaf and the borrowed canister filter is sending up lots of bubbles.

The instructions say to replace the filter cartridge (the one on the side) periodically. Do you do that or just rinse it in discarded tank water?
Old 03-03-2008, 02:46 AM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

If you're hearing anything, it may still have air in it. I submerge the bottom plastic (with the sponge and floss) and let it fill up with water before I snap the top half back on. The impeller may make a few loud noises as it spins but that noise should stop within a few seconds. You can rock it gently under water until it fills up completely. I hold my finger in front of the outflow to feel if water is coming out.

I rinse both sponges in removed tank water. The skinny one on the side is the mechanical sponge. It filters out larger pieces of debris before they get to the biological sponge (the larger one on the bottom). I may squeeze the mechanical sponge out a bit harder than the biological sponge but I haven't replaced it.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:14 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks again. I will try your technique next time. My plan is to keep the borrowed canister filter with air pump running for 4 weeks and then shut off the air pump for a week and keep monitoring the water quality. If all is well, I'll return the borrowed canister filter. Does this sound reasonable or should I keep the canister filter longer?
Old 03-04-2008, 01:58 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Four weeks is fine...maybe a bit of overkill for a small bioload, but that's fine. How is the Duetto running now? I can't even hear mine when I'm in the room. I hear a very slight motor hum when I lift the lid to feed.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:25 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Good question! I think it is nice and quiet now but I need to unplug the air pump to verify.

Actually, I have a water quality problem that I need advice on, although I'll understand if you recommend my moving this to another thread. I've have had a liquid API tester for ammonia since I set up the tank and it has consistently read zero since I put in the borrowed canister filter (about a month ago). I just acquired liquid testers for nitrites and nitrates. Nitrites are zero but nitrates are between 20 & 40. I tested last Wednesday, got that result, and did a quick 25% water change. Then on Sunday I did another 25% water change with gravel washing and tested the same day. Ammonia & nitrites still zero but nitrates still between 20 & 40. My tap water's nitrates are between 5 & 10 and I treat with Prime. Any suggestions? I've never rinsed out the canister filter in the discarded tank water because I thought you weren't supposed to. Should I? I don't think I overfeed (2-4 thawed frozen bloodworms, tubifex worms, or brine shrimp in the morning and one soaked pellet in the evening.) My betta just got over a case of Ich a week and a half ago which I treated with RidIch so I did daily water changes for ten days, which is how I finally mastered the art of gravel washing.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:42 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

I was logging back on to amend my answer...I paid special attention to the filter noise when I just fed my bettas and I have to say the filters are silent. I hardly even heard a hum.

You should start a new thread to address your non-filter related problems. That is a lot of nitrate for a small bioload. You can rinse the canister filter in removed tank water. Don't squeeze it hard, just a few swishes in the water and pick off large clumps of debris, if any. That may help.

Tags
betta, filter, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com