Filter for 75G freshwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matman1110

Aquarium Advice Regular
Which filter would you recommend for a 75 gallon freshwater African cichlid tank?

Fluval FX5, without a doubt.

I hear this filter is pretty awesome, but it can be used for aquariums up to 400 gallons. I know it would easily do the job, but is there maybe a more economical option? I think someone else recommended the AC-110, would that be enough to fully filter a 75G?

A 110 AC will be enough for a 75, even with relatively heavy stalking. It is easily cleaned and can be done while changing the water. The sponge inserts last for many years.

A 110 AC will be enough for a 75, even with relatively heavy stalking. It is easily cleaned and can be done while changing the water. The sponge inserts last for many years.

How about a 90G? would it be enough for that?

The FX5 is not good up to 400 gallons. Like every filter out there it is over-rated. The AC110 is also over-rated. I have one running on a client's 37 gallons community, and it is not too much flow. On a 55 I would have two of them.

The FX5 is only $209 shipped on Amazon, the best deal you will find on any filter from what I have seen. I have two Fluval 405s on my 75 and would have just gotten the FX5 if I didn't already have both of them around. It is definitely the best option for tanks in the 75-220 range (although at around 125-150 gallons you may start to need a little more flow, but the actual filtration power is there).

I personally can't imagine using anything else, or recommending it to a client or customer. For the price, ease of use, being beginner friendly, etc. it is definitely the way to go.

You may get a good deal on craigslist, but you wouldn't get that new. Proper filtration for a 75 is not cheap, neither is a setup. You can do it right from the beginning or you can always work a little harder to keep it going because you cheaped out in the beginning, the choice is yours.

The FX5 is not good up to 400 gallons. Like every filter out there it is over-rated. The AC110 is also over-rated. I have one running on a client's 37 gallons community, and it is not too much flow. On a 55 I would have two of them.

The FX5 is only $209 shipped on Amazon, the best deal you will find on any filter from what I have seen. I have two Fluval 405s on my 75 and would have just gotten the FX5 if I didn't already have both of them around. It is definitely the best option for tanks in the 75-220 range (although at around 125-150 gallons you may start to need a little more flow, but the actual filtration power is there).

I personally can't imagine using anything else, or recommending it to a client or customer. For the price, ease of use, being beginner friendly, etc. it is definitely the way to go.

So in terms of filtration on a 75G, a fluval fx5 is all thats needed, correct? You dont need any more filters do you?

You may get a good deal on craigslist, but you wouldn't get that new. Proper filtration for a 75 is not cheap, neither is a setup. You can do it right from the beginning or you can always work a little harder to keep it going because you cheaped out in the beginning, the choice is yours.

What I quoted is for new. A new 75 is $100, lighting with tubes $35, Substrate $10, and 2 ATI #5 Hydro sponge filters $20 to $30. That leaves $35 to build a stand or buy a tank full of fish.

We couldn't sell a 75 for a $100, maybe a 55 if they are on sale for us. Maybe a cheapo brand or something on sale at a big store, maybe.

A 4' strip light made for an aquarium is a lot more than $35, a hardware store cheapo option is a possibility (and cheaper).

Substrate, again hardware store cheapo stuff not made for aquarium use, yes. A higher quality substrate that is actually made to go in an aquarium, no (even bulk bags of gravel).

2 sponge filters as the only filtration on a 75, lol. If that qualifies as filtration then do what you want. If you are in this hobby to save money you better get out now. They are great filters, for 10 gallon breeding/fry tanks. But I couldn't use them on anything else, at least not as the only filtration.

Yes, one Fluval FX5 would be the only filtration and flow needed for a 75.

Perfecto (made in the US and shipped to Canada) 75 gal, $100.00; I have one still in the box in the basement.. My mistake about the lighting, it should have been $18 to$25. Putting substrate in a bag that says aquarium on it doesn't raise the quality, just the price. Yes 2 sponge filters on a 75, will work just fine. The crud gets removed weekly with the water change, not stored in a can.
After 40 plus years in the hobby, I have come to realize that simpler (easier) is usually better, and spending money needlessly, as you you seem to recommend, is not necessary, and actually a little offensive. You are awfully cavalier with other people's money.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom