Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-16-2004, 03:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to PK Tester Send a message via MSN to PK Tester Send a message via Yahoo to PK Tester
Filter for a 10 GAL?

Could anyone point me towards a good filter for 10 gal aquarium? Thanks. My filter is dieing haha.

PK Tester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 04:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
I like AquaClear filters. I have 2 AC200's and they have worked very well for me. I honestly don't have much to compare them to other than some Wisper filters that I got with kits though. When I was looking for a filter for my 5.5g they were recomended to me. I have a 200 on my 5.5 which is overkill but it does work very well

rossmort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 04:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a Penguin125 on my 10g. Its over all pretty good. I am having probs with the Biowheel atm tho; I find the filter needs to be cleaned out often, or the buildup of gunk prevents the wheel from turning freely. I do like the Biowheels overall; with them I can change filters at whim if I wanted to and it doesn't affect the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels. I have never been impressed with the Whispers. AC's are also pretty good. You want a filter which is going to turn over 6-10x the tank amount per hour for good filtration.
aka Cycling Guru and the Ich Slayer

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 04:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a Penguin Minis on my 10 gal and 7 gal. They work very well and are quiet except for the sound of trickling water. Like Alli said, the Biowheels are nice because the biological filter is physically separate from the mechanical filter.

Trouble is, the biowheel will not rotate if the mechanical filter cartridge is very dirty - resulting in a mini cycle. Cleaning it buys you a few weeks at most, then you have to replace the cartridge, which can get expensive over the long haul.

I have no experience with the Aquaclears, but lots of people here swear by them.
QTOFFER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 11:23 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
I like both the Aqua Clears and bio wheels. I don't think you can go wrong with either!

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com