Filter for a 20G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twoodrough

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just picked up a 20 gallon. I am pretty sure I am going to have a fancy goldfish in it and maybe one or two smallish fish (big enough not to be eaten some day, small enough to not skyrocket nitrates).

I feed lightly and change water regularly and want to filter highly, especially with the fancy goldfish.

I am starting my search for a filter:
I want to buy local because I want to be able to take it back if I don't like it. So far I am looking at Marineland Penguin 200 (has the highest rating on Amazon), Aqueon Quiet Flow 30 and Tetra Whisper EX 45. The first two only do 200 gph and the Tetra does about 240. Do I need more gph than these with the "fancy" plan? Are there others I should consider?

Filter Suggestion

I just picked up a 20 gallon. I am pretty sure I am going to have a fancy goldfish in it and maybe one or two smallish fish (big enough not to be eaten some day, small enough to not skyrocket nitrates).

I feed lightly and change water regularly and want to filter highly, especially with the fancy goldfish.

I am starting my search for a filter:
I want to buy local because I want to be able to take it back if I don't like it. So far I am looking at Marineland Penguin 200 (has the highest rating on Amazon), Aqueon Quiet Flow 30 and Tetra Whisper EX 45. The first two only do 200 gph and the Tetra does about 240. Do I need more gph than these with the "fancy" plan? Are there others I should consider?

Hello two...

Goldfish are waste producing machines, so I suggest a Hagen AquaClear 50. It will only set you back about $25.00 and the filter is very reliable and easy to service. It has a gallon per hour (gph) rating of 200, plenty for a 20 G tank. This level of filtration and changing out half the water in the tank every week and you'll have no problem maintaining a stable water chemistry.

B

Back
Top Bottom