filter for a 29 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tim1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i am planing in getting a 29 gallon and dont know what kind of filter would be the best a whisper 20-40 gallon power filter which i have good luck with or a under gravel filter which my dad has a lot of experance with

i just got a 20 gal and i'm running an under gravel filter with a powerhead as well as a penguin bio wheel filter(up to 60 gal) since they were both cheap. this is my first tank so i did a lot of research and i never ecountered anyone or any article that said it's bad to run more than one filter system although many would say two filters on my measly 20 gal tank is overkill. it's always good to have a backup, especially with undergravel filters :p

re: u/g filter

I have a lot of experience with both types of filters. I would strongly suggest that you never use an undergravel filter. Although they work, they are not as efficient and do not add any value that you will not already have with a Penguin BioWheel.

Also, an undergravel filter pulls the waste to the bottom of the aquarium, which increases maintainance by forcing you to do more regular water changes and vacuuming of the gravel than otherwise needed. With a biowheel filter, the waste is sucked into the filter pad and is easly removed. You only need to drain & replace water, with a less regular gravel vac & less regular disturbance of your decoration layout.

An afterthought....

If you only have the Whisper as an option, then definately use an u/g filter. Although, it would be much easier long run to use only a Penguin BioWheel and discard both your Whisper & U/G filter.

Instead of a Penguin, look at an Emperor filter also made by Marineland. It has a bigger bio-wheel, bigger filter pad and is a better filter imo. Purchase it online, not in a Pet store and you'll save 50%.

lol i already bought the stuff so i'm gonna stick with it but i'll probably take the UG filter out later if i have problems with it

I agree with MarkLehr, avoid the undergravel filter. Stick with a Penguin or Emperor, it will be more than adequate for a 29g. And take that UGF out sooner rather than later. It'll just become more of a hassle the longer you wait...

Something that someone has just recently posted about is having a problem with very acidic water as a complication of an undergravel filter. Detritus ends up collecting underneath the filter, and the decay can cause problems down the road with your water parameters.

Personally, I would stay away from an underground filter (not that they are bad, but maintenance must be more frequent and is much more painful) and Whisper filters are among the poorest (if not the poorest) filters on the market.

I agree with the others, a Penguin or an Emperor filter would be a fine choice...

Paul

There are lots and lots of threads hashing over the topic of UGF's, so do a search on that and see what you think. I used them in the "olden" days because they were what everyone used, but I'd not use one now if you paid me. Aquaclears and Penguins/Emperors do a fabulous job for smaller tanks.

If you already have the UGF in place, then go ahead and run it as reverse-flow, with powerheads forcing water down the uptake tubes instead of up, so debris is less likely to be trapped under the plates where it will have to someday be dealt with.

Back
Top Bottom