Filter for a 36 gallon bow front

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tipton34

Aquarium Advice Freak
Would a Quiet Flow 30 Power Filter and a aerator be enough for an overstocked 36 gallon bow front!

Filter Question

Hello Tip...

You're really pushing the limit of your 30 filter. If you under filter your tank, then you must do large, weekly water changes. 60 to 70 percent of the tank's volume, with your current filtration would really be in order.

I have large tanks and use filters smaller than recommended, but I'm a water change fanatic and that's the only reason I can use them. If you're willing to follow this WC routine religiously, then in my opinion, it can be done.

I don't believe airstones provide much oxygen help under normal circumstances, but in your tank any added surface movement would be helpful.

B

OK thanks, the filter comes with the tank so I can't really change it but would it be better to add another small filter or buy a bigger filter?

Tipton34 said:
OK thanks, the filter comes with the tank so I can't really change it but would it be better to add another small filter or buy a bigger filter?

To help answer your question this is what I'm running right now on my 55 gallon. 1 penguin 350 which is good for 70 gallons and I'm also running a Aqua clear 110 which they say is good for up to 100 gallons on top of that I also have a air stone with a Reba air pump.

Point is.... You can never have too much filtration. My tank is overstocked with African Cichlids and running 2 filters just helps out. It wouldn't be a bad idea to add another filter. It won't hurt that's for sure.

A good friend of mine once told me, just to be safe, cut it in half so whatever the filter says it can handle cut it in half. So add a bigger one or if you already have one and it says up to 30g and you have a 30g you can add another.

Make sense?

Good luck.

Yeah, I have a 20-40 on my 29, Right now. im thinking of up Grading to a 40-60, and tossing this 20-40 on my 20g long and get that going.

Back
Top Bottom