Filter for a 5 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rossmort

Aquarium Advice Activist
A while back I got a 5 gallon kit aquarium that had the filter and hood and all that good stuff all together. The filter that is running right now is a "Whisper 2-5" and I really hate it. I don't think it does a good job at all for filtering so I think its about time to upgrade for the little fishies. I was wondering everyone's opinions on Aquaclear filters versus Penguin. I would probably run a Bio-Wheel 125 or a AquaClear 200 (Same price online). I know they are both probably overkill but I was thinking that when I set up my 125g I can thow it on for polishing or something and use the 5 for fry.

Any other filters can be thrown into the mix also!
Looking at: (The 2 mentioned PLUS)
Eheim Liberty Filter 150
Penn Plax Cascade 150

Thanks in advance!

Personally, AquaClear, bar none, I've used both types for a long time, and find that AquaClear are by far, the best HOB filter on the market, you cant beat their capabilites, and their life, the things never die.

Thanks for the quick reply! I just sat down and looked at the water in my tank and said decided I needed to get on the ball for that thing. Good to hear about the AquaClear, 'specially since they are cheap! :)

Thanks

Yep, you cant get much cheaper, and like I said, I feel, for average sized tanks, they are the best, I've yet to see another HOB that rivals them

Do you think that a AC200 would be too much flow for a 5 gallon? I have a betta, a leapord pleco, and 2 cory's

I'm a big fan of the Aqua Clears...I've tried them all..

Great filters, they've definately made a classic. The basics of them havent changed in 20 years, and no one has come up with a simpler, yet so effectvive of a design

AdamsZoological said:
Might be a bit strong, I'd go with a Mini, or 150...besides, saves you a bit extra cash too :)

Yeah, I guess it is just hard for me not to spend the 50 cents to upgrade from the 150 to the 200 :)

lol didnt realize they were that close where you were getting them. Well, that aside, would probably be a hit better for that size tank.

Yup, I will go with one, I just can't seem to find dimesions on the filters. I see that I can decrease the flow for the 200 down to 33% so I would like to get that one BUT I want to make sure it isn't too big.

I really wish sites had dimensions on their products. so annoying not being able to find out how big the thing is!

Probably 6 inches but if it was that it would be dominating! I am curious how deep it is because that would make me have to pull the aquarium out to fit it if it is more than 3" which I bet it is.

Back
Top Bottom