Filter for Cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amicus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am setting up a 55g Malawi-like cichlid tank and am trying to find a fillter. I heard the filtration has to be substantial because of feeding and crowding. I have an Eheim canister on my community tank and am not interested in that brand, too many parts. Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions? I was looking at Marineland or Fluval. Sponge filters?
Thanks

A lot of cichlid keepers like to use around 10x filtration if you are gonna keep it heavily stocked to reduce aggression. By 10x, it means a total filter(s) flow ratings of 550 gallons. Sound extreme I know but there it is. Less filter equals more frequent water changes.

Being a community fishkeeper I am a little wary about crowding the tank even though it has been suggested on almost every site. Is 5 fish in a 55g considered overcrowding? Is there a fish to filtration ration with cichlids? I was thinking about a canister that cycles about 150gph, 500gph seems like a lot but I'm new to cichlids.

. Less filter equals more frequent water changes.

This statement is not true. More filtration does not mean fewer water changes. What determines the PWC necessity is the bioload on the tank, not filtration (assuming enough fitration to keep ammonia and nitite at 0).

So, is 5 fish considered over crowding for a 55g? I have seen 55g tanks with 12 cichlids in them.

Does anyone have an opinion on brands of canister filters? I kind of liked the baskets in the marineland.

Depends on the size and agression of the fish and the M/F ratio. I have 10 yellow labs and 7 albino socolofi in a 55 with plenty of hiding spaces. They get along so far after a year together.

cichlids need a 3/1 f/m ratio to calm aggression. a 55 could happily hold 15-20 cichlids. I ran Rena xp3's on my cichlid tanks and was very happy with them.

This statement is not true. More filtration does not mean fewer water changes. What determines the PWC necessity is the bioload on the tank, not filtration (assuming enough fitration to keep ammonia and nitite at 0).

Yep, I stand corrected. Musta' snorted some of that hair algae I was cleaning out this morning.

I guess I was thinking African cichlids got larger than they do. I was also worried about providing enough hiding places. Rena xp3s? Plural? I guess that 15-20 fish would require a lot of filtration.

Back
Top Bottom