Filter for quarantine/hospital tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LizG

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm planning on getting a 20g long for my QT/HT, and was wondering what filter I should get. Would an AquaClear 20 do? Something else, less expensive? I know Petco has their own brand of inexpensive filters, but I don't know if they are carbon or what.

I know some types of media will be pointless if I need to medicate, so I understand I need a filter that I can use a sponge, or floss. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Just as a reference, I'm about to set up my 55g display tank and move some of my fishes there once it cycles. Hence the need for a QT. On the 55, I will be running 2 AquaClear 70 filters.

I would go with an AC 50 instead of the 20. The 20 I use it with a 10G.

Most other HOB filters out there uses cartridge that include carbon, so I prefer the aquaclear filters that can be customized the way you want. Fluval HOB is also customizable with many different compartments, like a high end Aquaclear.

Anyways, I tend to over filter my tanks. My 25G is running an AC50 HOB and a fluval 206 canister.

Ok. So I changed things a bit. I decided to go with a 10g QT/HT, to make things easier when medicating. So I went with the aqua clear 30.

A quarantine tank and a hospital tank are not really the same tank. A QT tank should be set up for a long term operation where the fish can get used to their new surroundings, foods, feeding schedules, etc over a period of time. A Hospital tank is for medicating and a filter is not necessary. An air stone is all you need as it will not effect most medications. Many meds will kill off the beneficial bacteria so there is no use in having them in a hospital tank. Also, you need to follow the instructions of the medicines you use as to whether to feed the medicated fish and when to do water changes as well as how much to change. A QT tank is more for just observation and if the need arises, the fish would need to be put into a hospital tank. The hospital tank need not be running when no fish are sick.

Since most meds are packaged in 10 gallon dosages, a 10 or 15 gal tank would make a good hospital tank. Just be aware that a 10 gal tank does not hold 10 gallons of water so a single dose of a med might be a little stronger for more sensitive fish. With a 15 gal tank, you can measure out 10 gals of water so your dosing will be more accurate. Just put a magic marker spot at the 10 gal line so you just fill to the line and medicate. The process takes just minutes and you're set. (y)

Back
Top Bottom