Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-15-2003, 05:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Filter For Quarantine Tank?

I have a 10-gallon QT filled with water from my main 75-gallon tank, heater, airstone and some pieces PVC pipe for cover. I plan to keep a little filter running in my main tank, ready for use when I need to use the QT. Any suggestions for a filter for this little setup? Thanks.

http://www.valuebook.com/pix/charlie_sig_s.gif
cstricklen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 07:59 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I like the aquaclear filters by hagen and the biowheel filters by penguin. I would think a biowheel mini would work for a 10g quarantine quite nicely

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 10:08 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Another thing to think about is keeping the bio filter active. I like the bio wheel filters because they have such a good biological capacity. You could dose some ammonia VERY sparingly in the Q tank when it isn't being used. You could also keep some kind of a small peaceful fish in there to keep things going. If you have a sump under the 75, maybe keep the bio wheel in there until you need it...it should keep the bacteria active enough to at least give you a good start. Never really thought about this much until now...I'm sure others will have suggestions as to the best way to handle this. I agree with Kevin about the bio wheel mini...should do a good job.
Logan J
Old 02-16-2003, 07:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Grant R
I just have a small, internal filter with foam filter media in my 11 gallon, nothing else. It does the job fine and produces a good water flow, so I don't bother with an airstone.
Grant R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 09:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Personally, I like sponge filters for QT tanks and for fry tanks. They are incredibly cheap to build and the aeration is included when you attach the air pump. I just built 2 of them last week and my unit cost was $1.29, not including the air pump, which I already had. Put a couple of feeder guppies in it to help start and maintain the cycle. The only downside is they don't trap debris so frequent water changes are essential.
Old 02-17-2003, 12:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I think I like your idea, f250god, since I already have an pump. The QT will be empty most of the time and probably will not cycle, so frequent water changes would be necessary anyway in a 10-gallon. How do I make this simple sponge filter?

http://www.valuebook.com/pix/charlie_sig_s.gif
cstricklen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 09:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I'll try to write the instructions, but if my camera was operational it would surely help. here's a list of supplies you need, some of which you may have around the house.

13 inches of PVC 1/2" inside diameter
4 90 degree PVC connectors
1 T connector
1 open pore sponge about 4 1/2" by 3 1/2"
20 inces airline tubing
1 aqua fizz cylinder shaped airstone
1 airpump

It's about impossible for me to explain this. Cstricklin, I live in Cincinnati, Ohio, if you want to e-mail me I would be more than happy to make one and ship it to you via USPS, I have all the stuff to make them (except the airstone) It shouldn't cost me that much to ship it to you. All I ask is that you let me know how it works.

email-cms0730@fuse.net
I check that everyday, sorry for the delay in my answer.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Pufferpunk
I keep small filters running on my larger established tanks in addition to the regular larger filters already in use. Anytime I have eggs or fry that need seperating, or a quarrantine or hospital tank, I just take off one of tha small filters & put it on my extra tank. I also have a 10g that I breed snails in, for my puffers, that is always cycled.

Pufferpunk's Tanks
http://wetwebfotos.com/Home?actionRe...ew&userID=1918
Pufferpunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter, quarantine, quarantine tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com