Filter For Quarantine Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cstricklen

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 10-gallon QT filled with water from my main 75-gallon tank, heater, airstone and some pieces PVC pipe for cover. I plan to keep a little filter running in my main tank, ready for use when I need to use the QT. Any suggestions for a filter for this little setup? Thanks.

I like the aquaclear filters by hagen and the biowheel filters by penguin. I would think a biowheel mini would work for a 10g quarantine quite nicely :mrgreen:

Another thing to think about is keeping the bio filter active. I like the bio wheel filters because they have such a good biological capacity. You could dose some ammonia VERY sparingly in the Q tank when it isn't being used. You could also keep some kind of a small peaceful fish in there to keep things going. If you have a sump under the 75, maybe keep the bio wheel in there until you need it...it should keep the bacteria active enough to at least give you a good start. Never really thought about this much until now...I'm sure others will have suggestions as to the best way to handle this. I agree with Kevin about the bio wheel mini...should do a good job.
Logan J

I just have a small, internal filter with foam filter media in my 11 gallon, nothing else. It does the job fine and produces a good water flow, so I don't bother with an airstone.

Personally, I like sponge filters for QT tanks and for fry tanks. They are incredibly cheap to build and the aeration is included when you attach the air pump. I just built 2 of them last week and my unit cost was $1.29, not including the air pump, which I already had. Put a couple of feeder guppies in it to help start and maintain the cycle. The only downside is they don't trap debris so frequent water changes are essential.

I think I like your idea, f250god, since I already have an pump. The QT will be empty most of the time and probably will not cycle, so frequent water changes would be necessary anyway in a 10-gallon. How do I make this simple sponge filter?

I'll try to write the instructions, but if my camera was operational it would surely help. here's a list of supplies you need, some of which you may have around the house.

13 inches of PVC 1/2" inside diameter
4 90 degree PVC connectors
1 T connector
1 open pore sponge about 4 1/2" by 3 1/2"
20 inces airline tubing
1 aqua fizz cylinder shaped airstone
1 airpump

It's about impossible for me to explain this. Cstricklin, I live in Cincinnati, Ohio, if you want to e-mail me I would be more than happy to make one and ship it to you via USPS, I have all the stuff to make them (except the airstone) It shouldn't cost me that much to ship it to you. All I ask is that you let me know how it works.

email-cms0730@fuse.net
I check that everyday, sorry for the delay in my answer. :D

I keep small filters running on my larger established tanks in addition to the regular larger filters already in use. Anytime I have eggs or fry that need seperating, or a quarrantine or hospital tank, I just take off one of tha small filters & put it on my extra tank. I also have a 10g that I breed snails in, for my puffers, that is always cycled.

Back
Top Bottom